Hands

(watch the trailer above made by the talented @valuables seriously it's amazing.)

Hands

Staring at the open doors of The Blue Bones she stood quietly. The fluorescent tube sign with the name of the bar was, of course, neon blue but it didn't stand out from the other big billboards from other nearby bars.

The Blue Bones had its own style, as if it didn't need a big flashy display to convince people to enter. From what she could see, the walls were black and the light was dim. The whole ambience of the place radiated a cave-like atmosphere and a certain feeling of intimacy.

Cassie sighed, not having a specific plan in mind. She liked knowing exactly what was going to happen, but this was different... things might go better if she didn't have a script to follow.

Piero's trust in her, his honest advice and his concern gave her the confidence and freedom she needed to function at a high level. Now Cassie had to learn to trust herself. Was she really going to let herself go there, enter the dangerous cave of her own dark mind and break free from her fear and doubts?

Walking into the cavernous confines of The Blue Bones at least was a small step in the right direction.

She knew she was thinking way too much, especially about Tate...day and night...minute after minute, his presence inevitable and irresistible. After all that happened between them, especially the she-loves-me-she-loves-me-not unstable nature of their relationship, Cassie had to stop and think for second; what do I really want?

Her answer went against everything she believed, everything she'd been taught, and, in her role as a human guardian, contradicted the moral imperatives of the twelve Great Guardians. Well, eleven Great Guardians since Piero was on her side.

She shook her head while entering. Inside it smelled surprisingly like a field of wild mint. Her heart was racing. She couldn't find him. Did she really want to? She shook her head...yes...yes, she did. Cassie walked slowly among the tables. None of the faces were familiar. She went through a crowded hallway. She was cold. The back of the bar didn't have a roof. The small lights hanging from one wall to another looked like stars. They blinded her for a second.

Cassie forgot why she was there and had the impulse to run away. Then, she got a feeling... that feeling. Everything began spinning. He didn't know he was looking for her until he saw her.

Like the first time they met at Tate's concert; he stood there surrounded by lights and she isolated in the darkness, but they found each other. Then, everything stopped spinning.

Instead of running away like the last time, Cassie paced towards him. He did the same. They met where the lights quieted into a darker, more private space.

"Cassie," he said, almost whispering.

Tate looked surprised to see her there. His heart began to race as he felt the warmth of hot blood rushing under his skin. She crossed her arms below her chest, shivering because of the cold. Cassie was only wearing a white t-shirt and skirt, leaving home without giving a thought of the weather.

"Tate," she replied.

His voice, saying her name, kept echoing in the cavern of her stunned mind.

He didn't ask why she was there because it did'nt matter. She was there. He was there. That's all he wanted...to see her again.

They stared at each other in an awkward silence, each expecting the other to say something. Cassie regretted not having a back-up plan. Tate scratched the back of his neck looking at the floor, both not at all sure what to do next.