Angels

Angels

   Tate tasted the delicious pasta Lily cooked for him while at the same time feeling little paws clawing on his leg. Titan was jumping up and down wagging his tail and looking at the food with hungry, glassy marble eyes.

Lily's fragile voice cracked the suffocating silence.

"Haven't seen Cassie in a while, how is she?" Tate almost choked and began to cough, mainly because he needed a second to think of his answer. Clearing his throat, "Good, I guess."

He remembered it has been four days since they'd spoken, and why would they anyway? He sent her off without thinking twice about how she was feeling.

"I guess? Are you... did you have a discussion?"

"No, we just decided to give each other more time." Tate lowered his head, avoiding Lily's eyes he nervously began to play with the fork and the food.

"Why?... you looked so into her." Tate shrugged and exhaled loudly, placing his arms on the table and leaned forward.

"Well, I did something kind of stupid."

"I'm not surprised." The old woman giggled when he looked at Tate's eyes narrowing.

"The thing is... remember we had a shoot for a music video?" Lily nodded. "Well, after that Mac told me that he didn't trust Cassie and he started accusing me of hiding something from him and—and I got pissed off and told Cassie we needed distance following Mac's advice, of course."

"What a jerk!" Lily hit the table so hard with her fork that poor Titan took his eyes off the food to see what was going on.

"Me or Mac?"

"Both!"

"Lily!"

"I never liked that Maclaren. Maybe he's afraid of losing your friendship, since you're thinking more about her than the band."

"That makes sense." After a long sharp silence, Lily spoke again. "Oh, by the way your mother called."

Tate looked up, straightening his back a few inches from the table, and replied with a cold tone, "What did she want?"

"You know... how you were... she misses you Tate."

A million possible replies went through his head at that moment, as well as a million bitter memories. His mother bringing Titan home, his mother cooking, his mother at his first school talent show, his mother arguing with his father, his mother arguing with him. The big fight. The run away. Tate finally spoke up.

"She should have showed some concern five years ago when I ran away from that hell hole." Without any energy to continue the conversation he stood up, took a sip of water, and added, "Now it's too late." With that, he let Titan jump on his chair and eat the rest of the food.