Threads

Threads

Void. That's what she felt when Tate left and it was that same feeling of emptiness that confirmed her feelings towards him...rebellious feelings that revolted inside her head, rioting through the streets of her troubled heart.

He said he would come back after talking with Mac about everything that's been happing. She still had a bad vibe though, he didn't know Mac, and so she wasn't sure just how he would react.

Cassie couldn't get what happened the night before out of her head as the images kept playing over and over like broken record. They had dinner. When he asked if it was good she said yes but the truth...it wasn't that great. Actually Cassie didn't know why she said yes... maybe because she didn't want to hurt his feelings or his pride, plus he looked really happy when she said she liked it. Maybe she said yes because she was too tired to keep talking.

Her relationship with Tate anyway was just one big 'maybe'. Being with him was like walking down a road you've never been on before. No...not a road, more like walking a tightrope. She'd tried to be careful, holding the balance pole with the ends of her fingers, but one wrong move and she'd take the fall-most likely a fatal fall. The question... was Tate at the end of the tightrope or below it, ready to catch her?

They talked until Cassie fell asleep on the couch. She woke up in her bedroom, meaning Tate had carried her there while he slept on the living room. A shy smile stretched across her face thinking of Tate carrying her to her bedroom so she could sleep comfortably...so thoughtful.

The fantasy ended when her phone started ringing. Cassie rushed to it thinking it might be Tate calling using a friend's phone, but the reality crushed her as she saw the name on the screen.

Petra Volkov.

In Petra's dreams she appeared like an angel, feathers wrapped around her shoulders from stunning white wings. He imagined Cassie walking closer, her ballerina skirt moving from side to side, looking snow white like shimmering clouds reflecting the light of the sun. But it was her own light...she was pure, shining with a heavenly glow. She also had feathers on her fingertips, making him wonder what her touch would feel like.

"Petra?" Her sweet voice resonated in his ears like a melody he never wanted to stop.

"West Coast!" he greeted, waiting in silence for her answer, impatiently tapping his feet on the ground. He convinced himself that Cassie would as she was never rude to him. After a few seconds he opened his mouth to add something but she interrupted.

"Hi" her voice it showed a hint of bitterness, Petra thought it was probably because he stopped reaching out, although Cassie was the one that initially didn't return his calls and never replied to his texts.

"How are you?"

"Fine, thanks." she replied with no emotion.

"You don't sound fine. Are you okay?"

"Just told you I'm fine..." Cassie rolled her eyes and sat on the couch. She began tapping her feet nervously, faster and faster as her heart rate went up. Petra made her feel anxious; there was something odd about him, but Cassie couldn't put her finger on it.

"Okay, sorry," he apologized for saying something most people consider rude, he thought it meant he cared, "sorry," he repeated.

"It's okay..."

Cassie could hear his breathing on the other side of the phone.

"I'm calling because..." Petra tried to come up with an excuse when he actually called her to feed his obsession, "because...there's a dance show tonight I thought you might like to take in?"

She knew what his game was and didn't take long to mull over her decision.

"Oh... I have other plans tonight...."

Petra frowned as he held his phone tightly. His fantasy was falling apart and he assumed Tate was the reason she was so cold towards him. He was crushed feeling like Cassie was never ever again going to get close him, because Tate was the center of her life now. Petra's body filled with rage as he imagined Cassie and Tate together.

"Please, it's very important to me...a friend of mine is performing today," he added, while fantasizing about being near her again, perhaps merely holding her hand or touching her on the shoulder or thigh. The sweet image faded from his mind as another one appeared; him wrapping threads around her wrists.

"Sorry..."

"Anyway, you owe me...remember...the last time you canceled our plans at the last minute?"

Cassie felt a strong urge to shout I owe you nothing but she felt guilty, thinking now that perhaps if she did see him she could let him know once and for all that she's just not interested in him anymore. Petra was nothing more than a distraction when she wasn't with Tate. Now that she had Tate, she didn't need Petra. But that thought made her feel even guiltier.

She sighted, "Okay, tell me the time and place, I'll-I'll be there."

"Really?" He was now pulling the threads of the web he was weaving, drawing her closer and closer to him.

"Anyway, I'll try to be there..."

"Great, then! It's at 7 PM at the Adriak Starian Theater."

Cassie didn't get to reply before Petra, all excited, hung up. What he'd wanted, what he'd been obsessing over for weeks, Cassie finally back in his arms, was going to happen-he was about to lure her back into the danger of his dark love.

-----

dedicated to @15_Angels_Of_Destiny for being such and awesome and loyal reader ♥