Half

Half

Everybody noticed Piero's worried face that day, the wrinkles of his forehead making him look older than he was, yet no one said anything.

The Aesterdis was shining and shedding silver particles that settled on the nose, shoulders and hair of all the beings present. They first levitated, then fell softly back like a celestial snowfall; slowly creeping down from where the walls melted into clouds at the ceiling. Heron's chair and hair complimented the surreal scene-silver and white.

"Tell us, Piero," he opened, with a resounding voice that dove into the depths of his being, "how is the Icarus mission fairing...is all well with Cascadia?"

"A workable plan is in place," responded Piero.

"Please, explain."

"She intends to get to know Tate, make him fall in love with her, and then... well, he'll surrender."

The room went silent for a second and then the air slowly filled with murmurs from the other guardians. Alexander however, had his mouth shut, his gray eyes piercing Piero's immortal soul like a sword.

"Silence!" dictated Heron. "Remember, she only has two weeks left. If she doesn't fulfill her mission, then Alexander's apprentice will take her place. Now, Alexander, tell us about the apprentice?"

"He has been training, is excited to be a part of this, and looking forward to the challenge."

"Any comments?" Heron looked at each of the other eleven guardians straight but no one spoke.

"Well then, the reunion is now closed."

Piero could feel the tension in the air, as if something unexpected was about to happen.

"Excuse me, Heron." A female voice emerged from the silence.

"Yes, Damaris?" Heron responded. Everyone turned around to see whose voice it that. Damaris held her hands together and lifted up her chin, trying to look taller.

"I-" She looked at Alexander and let out a trembling sigh from her rosy lips. "I want to report a prohibited act committed by one of our friends, someone present here in this room."

Piero's heart started racing. He knew that what he did was wrong, either becoming emotional involved with an apprentice, or lying about how Cassie's mission was unfolding.

Alexander's heart was also racing, he was going to change the Aesterdis in order to keep Cassie away when Petra assumed his position leading the Icarus Mission. That was prohibited too. But he didn't tell anyone...

Getting straight to the point, Damaris revealed, "One of us has had a child with a human."

Piero relaxed his shoulders, some of the silver particles drifting off his shoulders when he did. He saw all the faces of the guardians, some with disgust, some horror, others fearful. He looked at Alexander.

Heron stood up. Piero has never seen him so furious. When he stepped onto the floor it looked like the delicate marble floor would crack from the pressure of his rage. In response to the accusation, the silver particles of the Aesterdis began to change into a cold and dark version of dead stars.

"Who has done this thing?" The question wasn't directed at Damaris exactly but she was the one who responded.

"Rasmus," she replied, barely getting the words out through clenched teeth.

All heads turned. Rasmus, the young man, eyes now glassy, with tawny beige skin looked at Heron with his mouth open. Piero knew the feeling of needing to say something but words won't come out.

Heron gazed at Rasmus with disdain. Rasmus looked at Damaris, who was close to tears. Piero always knew about their friendship, but the rules...every guardian must follow them and she had to betray Rasmus because he broke them.

"When?" asked Heron.

"A few months ago."

"You know very well that Guardians can't have children with humans."

"Yes...I accept any punishment I have coming."

After a long breath, Heron decided, "You'll be no longer a Guardian."

The silver particles suddenly stopped in the air for a second, just about the same time Rasmus' lungs stopped pumping air. He fell on his knees with his black palms on the white marble floor.

"I beg your mercy," murmured the young man, his tears dripping on to the floor.

After a long pause, Heron placed his dark hand on Rasmus' left shoulder and started whispering a phrase that would predict his future.

"If the stars let you in...then peace will open up the doors,"

"No, no, please!" yelled Rasmus, sobbing. Heron murmured the saying used every time one of them is either dying or exiled. The problem was finding out which option was going to happen.

"You might find peace in that place for you are no longer a part of this world."

Rasmus disappeared forever into a tornado of light and fire...exiled. Nothing remained of him but some tears on the floor right where he was standing. Piero accepted the fact that he wouldn't see him again. Goodbye.

"Maybe that way you and everyone is this room learns that our rules must not be broken but followed. Anyone who disagrees can leave in the same way." Heron turned his back and returned to his chair. The Aesterdis ceased shedding its silver particles.

When the reunion ended and everybody left the room, Piero grabbed Alexander by his arm.

"I don't want you to end up like Rasmus."

"What are you talking about?" Alexander replied, presenting a worried smile.

He knew exactly why he also deserved to be punished.

"Ignacio."

"Oh, that one. Don't worry I no longer have any contact with him."

"Where is he?"

"All of the sudden you care?"

"I care for you even though you do some stupid things at times."

"I wouldn't go that far."

"You had a child with a human."

"Maybe a bit careless, but then she was absolutely, irresistibly gorgeous."

"That's not an excuse, you have a child, a half-blood child and you could be punished for that."

"Only if they know about it."

Alexander placed his hand on Piero's shoulder. "Don't worry, they won't."

"What makes you think I won't tell them?"

"You haven't told them in twenty years...you won't tell them now."

Piero looked at him confused.

"If you're interested, he is somewhere in South America with his mother."

"Alexander..."

"Piero... why are you showing interest, though? Why would you be worried about him now? Have you done something I should know about recently?"

"No. No, Alexander."

"Oh right...right...I suppose I'm the bad guy here."

"No...no...it's not like that." Piero tried to make him understand, but it was impossible.

"Don't try to make it better, brother. I assume the role I've been assigned. Some people are not entirely pure, you know?"

Alexander grinned and headed towards the big door, his black coat dragging some dead particles from the floor.

Before leaving Piero, he said, "There is always someone with a pinch of darkness in their blood."