31| Vulnerability. (edited)

Riven.    

                       The moment I knew Yuna and Madison were gone- Safe- I breathed in a sigh of relief. I'd be saying some things I didn't want either girl to hear, and especially with Jacob still here- I knew I'd say some violent things that no lady should hear or see. Honestly, my gut twists at the idea that my mother was about to witness this. As much as I had against her, I didn't like the idea of her getting to hear all of this. 

    I walk into the living room where everyone had settled, Marc still holding Jacob against a wall. 

  "Jacob, If you don't leave in ten seconds, I will let out every ounce of rage I have pent up- on you. You don't want to feel that, and I won't tell you twice."  He didn't even deserve this warning, but I was going to at least attempt to be a better man. 

 Supposedly he'd hurt Yuna whilst drunk, and when he sobered up- he'd been incredibly apologetic about it. But hearing his words tonight, the cocky tone he used on her, the way he thought one apology meant he could join our family... 

   My face is burning. 

   "I'll leave! I'll leave!"   Jacob hissed, holding his hands up. There's blood dripping from his crooked nose, Marc still had the look of the devil on his face.

  I think this is the first time Marc's ever taken my side. 

  "Marc, let him go."   I whispered hoarsely as I walked cautiously over to my brother, I may not know him that well anymore, but I didn't recognize this side of him at all. He was mad, because Jacob hurt Yuna ...Why would he care for Yuna?

       "You of all people should want to kill him."

"Why are you so mad?"

       "He hurt my brother's girlfriend. I'm not okay with that, I'm not friends with men who hurt women." Marc says, nearly throwing Jacob to the ground when he let go of him. 

 "Like you actually give a shit about me."  I growled, crossing my arms defensively.

 "I admit I made mistakes."  He gulped, eyes casting downward. He bit his cheek and sighed, "A lot of mistakes."

        "I'd say abandoning your siblings is a big ass mistake."

   "Now wait a second-" My dad held up a fat sausage finger, panting as he steps into my field of vision. "He had to take over the company he-"

  "He left us before then too. For a year." I grit my teeth, apparently my parents forgot about that.

  "Could we please have a few minutes to discuss this alone?" Marc looks at our parents, his eyes watering. My dad begins to mutter something, but mom takes him by the arm, for once she listened to us. 

    The room sets into a cold silence with me staring at Marc, and Marc staring at his shiny dress shoes. "I wanted to come back, but I was too scared...How could I just come back after leaving you guys?"

    "So when you do come back, you decide to what? Get drunk?"

   Marc chuckles, it's tight and forced. "You of all people cannot judge me for drinking my fear away."

  "No... I can't." I clench my jaw, my body heavy as if I'd been filled with lead. "But I can judge you for not letting me drive that night.  I can't judge you for me taking the fall... But I can judge you for leaving me afterwards. For abandoning me when you knew what mom and dad would do. For leaving Madison. Mom and dad were shitty even to her back then, and I was in no place to-"  My voice cracks a little, I push past it. "I was in no place to take care of her."