35| A homecoming. (edited)

Riven.   

         Tuesday finally came, and I was up at 5 am, racing to the airport in my uber- since I didn't have my own vehicle here. Once past security and loads of annoying, loud, and pushy people, I boarded the plane and sent out a quick text to Yuna that I had boarded the plane. She was most likely still asleep since I wouldn't land until 1 pm, but at least this way she'll know I'm on my way.

   The two people in my row were minding their own business, one was a man in a business suit- with earbuds in listening to music. The other was an older fellow who had a sleeping mask on as he lay quietly- obviously asleep. I used the first hour of the plane ride to go onto my documents and fill out the last bit of paperwork I needed to submit to the task force before I was officially on 'break' or paid leave.

 One hour turned into two, and two into three. But by eight am, I had all my paperwork done and I popped some earbuds in, playing a song Yunagot me hooked on,   I set it to be on a loop and closed my eyes- hoping to sleep through the flight, so time would pass by quicker.

    I was right, turbulence woke me up an hour before the plane was supposed to land. I tried going back to sleep but the bumpy ride only made my heart race and my jaw clench. I ended up gripping the seat belt I still had on, holding it until my knuckles turned white. 

        I spent that last hour repeating 'Please don't let me die ' at least half a thousand times before we finally landed. Albeit a bit of a rough landing, we survived though and that's all that matters. Can't believe I've been tazed, pepper sprayed and chased suspects down while they shot at me- but a bit of turbulence is what makes me sick. 

     I waste no time to push through the long lines, I quickly ran to the baggage claim, grabbing my many bags and running to the front gate where the loves of my life would be waiting for me. All I cared about was getting away from the crowd.  There were even more lines and I internally groaned at least 20 times, 'MOVE PEOPLE.'

    It was all worth it... That's the phrase I tell myself, that fills my soul up with sunlight.  It was all worth that first glance where I noticed Yuna standing with Madison sitting on her shoulders, a huge sign in Madison's hands. I smiled brightly, my heart pounding as I read,  'Welcome Home Riven!' In Madison's handwriting, it was blue and glitter- her favorite thing in the world was glitter.

    I locked eyes onto Yuna, once she picked me out from the crowd of people coming down the escalators, her face lit up as she spoke something to Madison who then pointed at me and began smiling as wide as she could.

                 I'm home. Finally. 

"Thank God!" I yelled as loud as I could, Yuna set Madison on the ground as she ran for me and nearly tackled me.

        I tangled my hands into her night sky hair and kiss her lips that I had missed for too long. She smelled like home- something I had also missed for too long. Yuna threw her arms around my shoulders and squeezed me as tight as possible, once we let go... Madison was running towards me full force.

 "Minnie!!!" I screamed, crouching as she ran over, holding her close to me and smiling, kissing her cheek and thanking God that I finally made it home.

        "It's been too long."  Yuna  smiled with tears in her eyes. Leaning down to kiss me again.

  "You didn't miss me that muchhhh." I tease, lifting Madison to my shoulders and standing up.

       "We did... I was trying to track your phone so I could figure out where you were."  Yuna laughed embarrassingly.

"Why? So you could get a flight out there?"

        "Exactly."

 We get in the car and Madison ends up falling asleep on the ride back home. I kept watching her in the rear view mirror with a smile- she was safe. Yuna was safe. And we were all finally together again. 

        "I bought tons of food last night and some cake."  She whispered so Madison wouldn't wake up, her hand squeezing mine as I steered with my left hand- back onto the old roads that lead to home.

        "Sounds good."  I grin, "I thought this day would never come."

 "Your parents said they'll visit tomorrow too, and pick Madison up."

       "I'm not sure if I want her to go just yet."  A whimper escapes my lips and I tighten my grip on Yuna slightly. If anything has changed about me while I was gone- I am MUCH more protective now.

     Because now I know what actual evil, sick people there are out there in the world.

 "Well I have only 6 months of class before I'm certified." Yuna beamed, a huge smile on her face while she looked at me through those gorgeous eyes.

    "Good!"  I applaud her, the sound of the bumpy road under us roaring loudly. 

   We sit quietly for the remainder of the drive- just enjoying each other's company without really having to speak. My hand was clasped into Yuna's , that's all I needed. Madison was still asleep when we got to the apartment, so I quietly unbuckled her car sear and picked her up, silently walking up to my apartment.

  Of course her nap didn't last long- once she smelled the food Yuna was cooking- she immediately hopped up and ran into the kitchen. I sat behind the bar, reading over my work report to Yuna while she nodded absentmindedly.

         "Hey Minnie! What's up?"  I set my laptop and papers down and moved to pick her up and set her in my lap. 

   "Food!"  She smirked, "When will it be done Sissy?"  Madison apparently found a new nickname for Yuna  while I was gone.

"Ten more minutes for the ribs, twelve minutes for the hot dogs." Yuna  laughed and turned around, setting her hands on the bar.

         "I missed you."  Madison wrapped her arms around my neck, acting as if she was trying to crawl onto my shoulders.

      "Missed you more!"  I threw her over my shoulders and ran around the room like an airplane, listening to her loud giggles and squeals.

   "Riven?" She finally spoke after I set her down and she got a hold of her laughs.

 "Yeah Minnie?"

          Her dark eyes got wide and quizzical as she furrowed her brows, "You don't smoke anymore, do you?"

         Yuna stopped what she was doing and turned to me with big round eyes. My own heart stopping. That was the one thing I wanted to keep hidden from her, Madison didn't need to know what a fool I was.

         "Not anymore..."  I groan while crouching down on my feet, "How did you know?"

"I'm not as stupid as you think I am. Just cause I'm a kid doesn't mean I don't know things."  She pouted, her head hanging low. "But I've known since you started college."

   "How?"  My voice cracked and strained. Mom and dad swore to never tell her. If anyone would have told her, we all agreed it would be me.

     "I overheard stuff, after you'd pick me up or drop me off... Or when mom would call you- she'd ask about you and smoking or drinking."

   "I made lots of mistakes... And I'm trying to be a better person now. So no I don't smoke or drink as much if at all."    I whisper, Yuna was still silent- but now she was pretending to be busy by setting out plates and silverware.

 "You never told me...Didn't you trust me?"  Her eyes began tearing up as she stepped backwards.

          Well now I feel like utter crap.

  "No! I just didn't want you to be... disappointed with me."

  She glanced up to my face, finally whispering, "Well... You're my brother. I'll always love you."

         I scooped her up into my arms with a huge grin, kissing her cheeks as she let a few squeals out.  Yuna laughed at us and announced dinner was ready, finally a home cooked meal. I was home.

  Nothing could top that.