Nineteen~Finished. (Edited)

School had officially started back, and yet Yuna still stayed in Riven's apartment. Staying there felt safer than the dorms, and it was a lot quieter. She made the ten minute drive back and forth from campus, and today she had nothing on her mind other than the fact that Riven got out of rehab today. She'd been shaking from adrenaline and slight anxiety over her own thoughts. She imagined the way he would hug her, the way he'd smell or cradle her face. But she also wondered how hard it would be to talk to him face to face again. 

    "What's up?" Hayes met with her in the school courtyard after class finished. 

     "Classes are killing me." Yuna tilted her head back and stared at the overcast sky. Hayes said he'd drive Yuna to pick Riven up, then take them both back to the apartment, that way both of them got to see him in one go. "What time do we have to be there?"

"Five." Hayes slung a bag over his shoulder, his cheek had a tiny cut on it today, and her urge to clean it overwhelms her shyness, she wants to clean it out and kick his dad's ass and actually be strong for once. 

     It was three pm now, and it was an hour and a half drive, they'd barely have time to get ready beforehand. Yuna rushed to the apartment and did her makeup, even though Riven didn't mind when she never wore any. She didn't put on a wig, but her pixie cut had grown even more now. The last time he saw it, her hair had just barely curled up over the tops of her ears. Now it was almost to the bottom of her ears. Yay for having hair that grows freakishly fast. 

   Hayes stood out in the hallway while she slipped into a fluffy sweater and a long maxi skirt. "Can you hurry up?"

   "Calm down sunshine." Nothing could taint her move now. "I'm ready."

     Yuna sat still in the truck while Hayes careened down the road way too fast. Her mind wanders to Riven and the things he must have faced while gone, his own inner demons. She had him figured out within the first few weeks of knowing him. Riven was the type who had so much to say, but he bites his tongue and holds back. She couldn't blame him for being scared to open up, it was sad really, he hid everything all the time, and that had to be exhausting.

"Hey...Can I speak to him first? I know you want to see him and all but I need to talk to him."   Hayes questions while fiddling with his lighter in his pocket, a tic he has...Like it calms him down just knowing it's there.

          "Sure, but if you take more than ten minutes, then I'm running in the room and tackling you, so you'll leave."  

Hayes laughs a deep hearty laugh and looks to me, "You're half my size, it wouldn't hurt."

    Yuna balls her hand up into a fist and slams it into the side of Hayes' shoulder, getting just enough confidence to really muster up her strength. She liked not being afraid of people, she liked having more friends, she liked the confidence it brought. 

      "OWE! What the absolute hell are you doing? That shit hurt!"  He grabs his arm, wincing in pain.

     "You underestimate me Hayes." At least she punched his shoulder and nothing more important.

 "I won't make that mistake again," He laughed, rubbing his shoulder , "you punch harder than my dad."

          Then silence, that weird awkward silence.

"Is that what happened to your face?"     She gesures to his cheek and he nodded slowly,      "Yeah but I don't want to talk about it."

       "I'm sorry Hayes...No one should go through that."    Yuna was beginning to realize just how common bad families were, and she had to at least be grateful that her parents tried their best with her. They definitely had some shortcomings, but they did what they could.