Chapter 17: Scars of the Past

The next week passes slowly. Classes drag on endlessly as the students struggle to continue with their normal schedule. Delta and Omega teams are having the hardest time adjusting, especially during their team classes. Omega not having a teacher now joins the Beta team, receiving their instructions from Mr. O. Ahara and Lyndley are having a hard time staying focused. They'll find themselves turning to the empty computer between them to ask Ty to take care of something only to feel the stab of pain as they realise she isn't there any more.

Saturday's usually bring joy to the students. It's a day to sleep in and relax, recover from any strenuous training activities or stressful classes. Up until last week some of the students had even started hanging out together, organizing movie nights or other fun activity. This Saturday though, none of the students have any plans. The school remains just as eerily quiet as it had been for the last week.

Around one in the afternoon, Ahara silently slips out of her room. Her bright orange hair is twirled up in a bun and held up with decorative black hair sticks that are covered with a swirl of silver flowers. She walks downstairs, heading toward the dining hall for food. Lost in her own thoughts, she doesn't watch where she's going and ends up running right into someone.

"Sorry," She murmurs, lowering her head in embarrassment.

"No worries." A deep, unfamiliar voice responds.

Ahara looks up to see who it is she ran into. She finds herself staring up at a tall boy with dark tan skin and a mess of hair that's almost black. He has a muscular build with broad shoulders and stands at least a foot taller than her. He tilts his head curiously at her, his hazel eyes studying her.

"And what is your name, gorgeous?" The boy asks, his voice tinged with an accent that she can't quite place.

"Ahara. Yours?"

"Matias Mancera, at your service." He gives a mocking bow, lifting his head to wink at her.

"Your accent is strange, I've never heard it before." Ahara admits, ignoring his actions.

"I can change it if you'd like. What accent do you want? Australian, British, there is a difference by the way, Russian, French, and a few others I'm probably forgetting."

Ahara raises an eyebrow questioningly, "Can you really use all those accents, or are they just cheap imitations?"

"You tell me, I think I'm quite good at my accents. I've had a bit of practice in my travels." He responds, now speaking with a British accent.

Ahara rolls her eyes, not wanting to admit that his accent does sound convincing. "What is your original accent? Where are you from?"

He switches back to his original accent with a smile, "I'm from the lovely city of Rio de Janeiro."

"Brazil?"

"The one and only. What about you?" He puts his hands in his pockets, leaning against the wall.

"Born in Japan, raised in the US."

"You said your name was Ahara, right? You seem to know your way around, would you mind showing me to the Omega hallway?"

Ahara sighs, "Yeah, sure." She turns around and begins to lead him down the correct hallway. She only stops when she feels the hairsticks being slid from her hair, allowing it to fall down to full length, reaching the center of her back. She whips back around, glaring. "What the hell?! Give them back."

Matias stands there, twisting them slowly in his hands as he examines the flowery design. "These are really pretty, not as pretty as you though."

"I'm not in the mood for this, just give me them back." Ahara snaps, holding out her hand.