Chapter 28: The Hunt Begins

The moment that the van pulls to a stop in front of the Amazonian Warriors' base, Matias throws the door open and climbs out. He's quickly followed by the rest of the students, Lyndley being helped out by Ahara.

The building in front of them has started undergoing repairs. The shattered windows have sheets and tarps covering them. Fresh dirt sits in the craters made from explosions, dotted with grass seed. The chunks of plaster, loose bricks, and wood that had fallen from the sides of the building have been gathered and neatly piled off to one side of the property.

Following after Matias, the students weave through the hallways. Black trash bags full of debris and dust line the hallways. Occasionally the students need to weave around a beam that's been placed to help hold up the ceiling. New tiles have been placed on the floor. After a turn in the hallway, the air smells of fresh paint.

"Tell me you have something, Rena." Matias yells as he pushes open a door and barges into a room.

Rena stands up from her place at a table covered in open files and loose pieces of paper. "Paciência, Matias," She ruffles through a few pieces of paper.

"I thought you were going to have a team on this, Rena."

"There are things more important than finding your friends, Matias. If you haven't noticed, the building around us is still far from being in working condition." As if to prove her point, a tile falls from the ceiling and lands on the table, shattering and sending up a cloud of plaster dust that settles in a thin layer over the paperwork.

"We don't have time for this," Razor says, pushing his way past Matias before Nico can reach out to stop him. "If you're not going to help, fine. Then get out of the way so we can do what needs to be done."

"You're forgetting who it is that provides you with materials and backup." Rena looks back over at Matias, "It seems that a lack of patience is common among your group. It may be best if you return here after this little incident is dealt with." She holds up the piece of paper she had been searching for moments before. "I did find something, if you could all be quiet long enough I'll share it with you. Last I checked, the only one among you that speaks Portuguese is Matias."

Silence falls among the group, even the sound of shuffling feet and posture adjustments ceases to be heard.

"Now then, I have been through every report of kidnapping for the last five years. The sudden increase only happened this month. Total, there are over seventy cases. Five of those cases have happened in the last thirty days."

"Are there any witness statements?" Matias asks, only to be shushed by Rena.

"I'm not done." Rena looks back at the paper she's holding. "Seventeen of these cases had witnesses present. All seventeen swore to seeing a black van, although there were conflicts over what type."

"Black van, great. Do you know how many of those there are in the city alone?"

"Matias, quit interrupting." Rena snaps. "The local authorities who investigated the last three cases were able to make some progress before each case went cold. The kidnapping was caught on a security camera. They were able to track the van's route through the city. Each time, it was lost after heading north on Estr. Porto Acre." Rena looks up from the paper to meet the confused looks of the American students.

Matias's eyebrows are furrowed in thought, "North on Estr. Porto Acre? You mean they've been traveling right past us all this time?"

"Sim, most likely." Rena nods.

"But why would they travel up that way? The only things north of here are farms and," His eyes widen in realization, "the river."

"Exactly. That river is their fastest way deeper into the rainforest."