Chapter 14: In Shadows We Live

“Are you three okay?” A medical team rushes over to Nico, Otaru, and Lyndley, helping the three students sit up while checking over them for injuries. Their dust covered uniforms hold the same insignia as the students’ vests, proving their membership of the Imperial Eagles.

Lyndley looks at the burning building in a daze, barely responding to the questions the medical team is asking. Her ears are still ringing from the explosion and the adrenaline pumping through her veins makes everything around her seem like it’s moving in slow motion. Over at the end of the street, a small group of people has started to form, growing larger by the second. They’re all looking at the building with curiosity and worry, taking out their phones to take picture or video to share with the world. Lyndley turns away from the crowd to hide her face only to find herself looking directly at Otaru.

“Lyndley? Are you still with us?” His eyes scan her face worriedly.

“Yes.” She responds quietly. “Adela. We need to find Adela and the others.”

“We will find them.” Carol’s voice comes from behind the students. “First we need to get all of you out of here before the press shows up. You’ve already been seen by too many people. Let’s go.” She ushers the three students back toward the transport vehicles, gently pushing them through the door before shutting it behind them.

Ahara and Naomi are already sitting in the van. Ahara is staring down at her lap in shock. She’s wringing her hands nervously, muttering quietly to herself. “Why didn’t I notice sooner. If only I had seen it sooner. This is all my fault.”

Nico takes a seat next to Ahara, his eyes softening from their fixed glare. “This isn’t your fault.” He looks around at everyone in the back of the van and states more firmly, “This isn’t anyone’s fault, okay? We’re going to return to the school, figure out a new plan, and get our friends back.”

The vehicle starts up and lurches forward, rocking around the passengers. Everyone is silent for a moment, staring through the tinted glass at the outside world. They pass the crowd of people which has grown even larger, although the city police have shown up now and are pushing people back and setting up barriers for them to stay behind.

Otaru is the first to break the silence. “You can’t assure anything.”

“What?” Nico asks.

“You can’t assure that you’re going to get your friends back.” The normal joking, laid back attitude that Otaru carries is gone, replaced by a solemn look and darker tone. “In this life, with what we do, you can’t make any assumption that someone missing in action is still alive.”

Nico clenches his teeth, balling his hands into fists. “Things might be different from where you’re from, but here we don’t give up on our friends. Here, we do everything in our power to return them safely.” He speaks with a forced calm, his hands shaking with the effort.

“And what if they’re already dead? What if you find them brutally tortured for information? What then?”

Naomi reaches for her brother’s arm, “Brother-”

“No, Naomi. They need to hear this.” Otaru snaps, cutting her off. “They need to know the consequences of the life they’re signed up for.”

“No one asked you.” Nico spits out, beginning to reach the limit of his self control. “How could you say things like this? Adela is one of the ones missing, you know, the girl you were kissing not too long ago? Does she really mean that little to you that you can just throw her away like she’s nothing?”

Otaru stands up, managing to keep his balance easily as the van rocks around on the uneven road to the school. “Of course not! I’m worried for her and I will do everything in my power to bring her back safely, but I know better than to try to go around fooling myself or others into believing that she’ll be okay no matter what.” He glares down at Nico who returns the gaze with a steady glare of his own.