Chapter 21: Learning on the Fly

Matias stares at the blinking word on the screen, the color draining from his skin as he takes in what it and the image mean. Then suddenly, a change washes over him. His eyes harden, the shock and pain vanishing to be replaced with fierce determination. Matias's hands move swiftly about the keyboard, tabs opening and closing on the screens so quickly it's hard to imagine he can keep track of what's flashing by.

"Matias," Ahara begins only to be cut off.

"Ahara, I need you to gather the other students down in the meeting hall immediately." His authoritative tone catches her off guard; it's completely different than the light-hearted teasing from moments before. "Now, Ahara."

She hesitates a  second longer, watching him work at his computer, before she nods. "Understood." She leaves the room and begins her quest around the different team's commons to gather the students.

Matias stays at his desk, attempting to make contact with the base. None of his attempts connect though, leaving him only with the image of the burning building staring back at him. After one final attempt, he stands up and swiftly makes his way downstairs.

"Mrs. Sanders," He calls as he approaches the woman, picking his way carefully through the debris left from the fire. "I need the students of the school to fly back to Brazil with me immediately. There has been an attack on the base of the Amazonian Warriors, backup is required."

Mrs. Sanders shakes her head, "Request denied. The students are staying here and so are you."

Matias's eyes harden. "My family is in that building, including my youngest brother who is only five. They sent a message to me for help and if I don't go that might be the last thing I ever hear from them."

"Tough luck, it's the life we live. You should know that. You are a student here and you will remember your place when speaking to me, Mr. Mancera."

Matias almost laughs, speaking more to himself now "They warned me you were stubborn, but I never imagined this." He puts on a serious face and straightens himself to his full height where he towers over the principle. "Rachel Sanders, I thought you would understand that at this moment I am not coming to you as a student of your school but as a lieutenant of an organization you are allied with. It is the role of an ally to provide backup and assistance when necessary. If you don't provide the backup I a requesting now, the organization of the Amazonian Warriors may cease to exist. Are you really willing to take the responsibility of the Imperial Eagles losing an ally and Gama possibly gaining one? You should know how dangerous of a risk that is in this war."

"I would hardly call what is happening a war." Mrs. Sanders responds, her resolve visibly weakening.

"I'd be more than happy to take this up with your superiors if you still lack the competence to give the order." Matias challenges, his gaze never wavering.

"I do not take well to being threatened, Mr. Mancera." Mrs. Sanders glances around the empty hallway before turning back to Matias. "What is happening to your base is happening here too." She hisses quietly. "The fire here was not electrical, it was an attempted bombing. I haven't been able to make contact with the main base. If you think you can contact them, then go for it."

"If this place is in danger, wouldn't it be best to move the students away for the time being?"

"Taking them to Brazil would be moving them from the frying pan into the fire. You'll be putting their lives at an even greater risk than they're at now."

"Unless you have other soldiers available to send as backup, there isn't much of a choice. What was that line you threw at me moments ago? 'Tough luck, it's the life we live.'"