Chapter 5: No Matches Found

On the first floor of the school in the computer lab, the three Delta girls each sit at a computer. The lights in the room are off and the window shutters are closed, leaving the computer monitors as the only source of light. The glow from the screens cast eerie shadows on the girls’ faces and around the room. Each girl has on a headset to hear the conversations between the simulation team and Lyndley, although Lyndley’s headset is the only one with a microphone.

Behind the three girls stands a woman. She paces back and forth, carefully watching the screens in front of the girls. Occasionally she brushes her blonde hair out of her eyes only for it to fall back into place a moment later. As the girls work, she hastily scribbles notes on the clipboard she holds in her hands.

As the simulation shuts down two floors above them, the monitors darken and the lights turn on, filling the room with bright fluorescent light. The girls take off their headsets and turn around in their seats to look at the woman behind them.

“Good job, girls. I will meet you in the Delta commons at six to tell you your scores. You are free until then. Dismissed.” The woman turns and walks to a larger desk at the back of the room, sitting down and turning her own computer and monitor on.

The moment the permission for dismissal was granted, Ahara stands up and leaves, her long hair flowing behind. Ty silently stands up and leaves after Ahara, almost as if in a trance. Lyndley takes a moment to straighten her bow and is about to leave as well when the woman at the back of the rooms calls her over.

“Lyndley, has Ty been like that all morning?”

Lyndley nods, “Yes. She wouldn’t even eat breakfast when I brought it up for her.”

“She must have run out,” The woman mutters softly, scribbling a note down on her clipboard. “Thank you, Lyndley. Oh, and can you help the new girl get situated? Make sure she knows her way around and everything else.”

“Yes, Carol.” Lyndley nods to the woman before leaving the room and heading upstairs to the Delta commons.

She walks down the length of the commons until she reaches the last door on the right. Turning to face the door, she stops a moment to read the name. “Ahara Tanaka, so she’s Japanese.” Lyndley murmurs before knocking quietly on the door.

From inside the room comes the sound of shuffling feet, then the door is thrown open. The new girl stands there, clearly doing her best to block the view of inside her room. The bangs of her flame orange hair nearly cover her eyes, no longer being kept back by the headband she was wearing earlier.

“Yes?” The cold look in her eyes amplifies the impatience of her tone.

“Hey, I was wondering if you would like a tour of the school?” Lyndley offers quietly, never one to talk to others much.

“No, I’m good. Thanks.” Ahara responds curtly, preparing to shut the door.

“Okay, make sure to read the rules and schedule. If you have any questions or need anything, let me know.” Lyndley does her best to offer a kind and welcoming smile.

“Fine.” Ahara closes the door with a snap, the lock clicking softly immediately after.

In the few seconds that it takes for Ahara to step back and close the door, Lyndley manages to catch a glimpse at what lies inside. A laptop is open on the desk at the back of the room. A search program is running, scanning through websites, videos, and documents. A second program which looks to be facial recognition is running through different databases at an incredible speed. The door is shut in her face before she can get a closer look.

Inside the room, Ahara continues to let the laptop run the search programs as she works on unpacking the single bag she brought with her. Next to the bag, laying untouched on the bed, is the folder of all the school rules and information. Although there are clothes left to unpack, Ahara becomes distracted by the object she pulls out of the bag first; a small silver frame that holds the picture of a girl.