Chapter 3: The First Test

Liz is once again woken early from sleep. This time is from a loud buzzing sound from the announcement speakers. Mrs. Sanders voice soon follows the buzz.

“Students, your regular classes for the day have been canceled and replaced with a simulation. Report to the central meeting room at nine.” After a pause, she continues with the same cold, annoyed tone she had started with. “Anyone late will be given a detention. Beta and Omega, bring your simulator suits with you to the meeting. That is all.” There is a loud click as the connection is cut.

Liz sighs and rubs the sleep from her eyes. She’s starting to wonder if she’ll ever sleep in to her alarm or if everyone will always wake her up early. Dragging herself from bed, she stumbles over to the closet where her suitcases are.

“I really should unpack soon.” She mumbles to herself as she pulls out a teal tee shirt and black athletic shorts.

After changing into fresh clothes and preparing herself for the day that lies ahead, Liz decides to head downstairs for breakfast. When she enters the dining hall, she is surprised to see a girl she doesn’t know.

The girl has shoulder length blonde hair with darker blonde highlights. A black bow is clipped to the left side of her head, although it does little to keep the bangs from nearly covering her eyes. The girl is rummaging through one of the cupboards.

“Morning,” Liz says awkwardly as she walks into the room.

“Morning.” The girl responds in a quiet voice, not even turning from the cupboard to look at Liz.

Before Liz can say anything else, the girl finds what she’s looking for and leaves. Liz watches her as she vanishes out the door. “Nice to meet you too.” Liz calls after her half-heartedly.

As she’s pouring herself a bowl of Lucky Charms cereal, more voices start to approach from the hallway.

“You have some nerve waking me up before nine.” A low voice growls.

“I don’t like it either but we have to be at the meeting by nine. Just shut up and go eat your breakfast.” Adela walks into the room, still wearing pajama pants and an oversized shirt. Nico follows close behind.

“Sanders is such a bitch, always changing the schedule like this. It always has to be so early too.” He grumbles as he grabs an apple from a bowl on the counter. As he turns he notices Liz. “Oh, sorry. But really, what is she thinking putting a new kid like you through a simulation on your first day? Her own daughter too. You’d think she’d have more sense.” He shakes his head then takes a bite of an apple.

Adela interjects before Liz can answer, “Didn’t Lyndley tell you? There’s a new kid on Delta arriving today too. That makes two new kids.” She rolls her eyes. “Sanders is setting us up to fail. There’s no way this will work.”

Liz watches them silently, no longer sure if she really belongs in the conversation or not. It’s strange to hear them talk about her mother like this, she can understand why they are though. She knows her mother can be strict, but this is almost unreasonable.

Nico finishes his apple and throws the core across the room into the garbage, a slight smirk appearing on his face when it makes it in, “Whatever. We’ll just have to show her up as always. Lyndley will cover for the new kid if necessary, and we can cover for Liz.”

Adela turns to Liz, almost as if realizing for the first time that Liz is present, “Are you ready for this? Remember all the basics, we can’t have you screwing this up. Nico and I can only cover for you oh so much.” Her gaze is cold, almost threatening.

“Chill out, ‘Dela. No use taking this out on her, she didn’t have any control over it. The simulation will scare her enough as is, don’t go making it any worse.” He sighs, leaning back on the counter and glancing over at Liz. “Don’t worry about this, we’ll make sure you get through it okay. Just stay calm.”