Chapter 147-Entering the City

Wow, crazy snow today, and there was thunder with the snow!

"Anything I should know before we go?" Lineir asked as the squad sucked up their campsite into spacial rings. Yu was pretty taciturn,

"This is a low threat area, we should be ok provided we keep a low profile and avoid the royal family at all costs. However, there is one other situation which may occur." He turned and beckoned for everyone to head out. "That is, if our enemies happen to cross our paths." 

LIneir scrunched his eyes. He had been wondering about that. 

"What do we do if that happens?"

They continued out of the treeline to a large ridge. From it they could vaguely see at the horizon, a strange darkness which covered the skyline.

"If that happens it will depend on whether we find them first or they find us." Yu Li said grimly. However, he quickly smiled as he looked at Lineir.  "Don't worry, we are one of the strongest sides participating in this Pillar. Chances are we will be the one seeing them and we can plan accordingly. However, if they do see us first and attack, you must be sure to stay with us. They will try to separate us and then pick off the stragglers. If we stay together we may suffer some losses but we will be able to escape." 

Swish Swish Swish

They vaulted through the undergrowth into the distance for the entire morning. The going was uneventful as they avoided all the local magic beasts and quickly approached the dark line in the distance. As they got closer Lineir's eyes widened when they cleared the treeline once again.

"That's...nighttime? But it's midday?" He stopped as he looked at what was coming. The rest of the squad also stopped. Now that they were closer they all got a glimpse of a vast bleak darkness which covered the sunshine and made it appear as if night was blanketing the land. However, the sun was still high in the sky, it's rays were simply blocked out by some sort of Death Qi which filled the atmosphere of Nithos.

"That's it. The Death Qi there is so thick that other types of Qi are smothered by it and it is consequently more difficult to use light based techniques and other elements. However, holy types are also more effective. We have an exorcist on our team. Dan, we'll all be counting on you." Yu looked over his shoulder and a skinny man in black and white robes grinned as numerous talismans rattled off his sleeves.

"Of course Captain. Just remember, when I use my techniques it will attract a LOT of attention so let us try to avoid this yes?" He said while his talismans disappeared back into his sleeves.  Yu nodded and they started moving again. By mid-afternoon, the sun's rays began to wane, but it was not that the sun's power was decreasing, but that the death Qi was beginning to visibly blur the sky like smog.

"Everyone take care. We are entering Nithos now. The deeper we go the worse it will get. Remember, this environment is not suitable for us to fight protracted battles. If you spot something do not attack but instead alert us all so we can avoid it!" Yu said and the whole squad hunched down as they all activated a concealment formation. Yu glanced at Lineir while offering him a scroll.

"Study this quickly, it will allow you to enter our group concealment formation. That way if you accidentally make a move the rest of the group will be able to cover for you." He said but Lineir shook his head.

"I have my own concealment techniques. So don't worry about me when you fight. I will help out where I can."

Sssssss

Lineir suddenly faded away as if the wind had blow him away. The whole squad gasped in amazement. They could still sense that he was near and see him because they were actively aware of him, but even still, this was exceedingly impressive. 

"Very well then. However, don't help out unless I give the order. You are to remain our hidden ace. If you reveal yourself needlessly it will be a terrible waste." Yu said and the group headed into the rapidly darkening evening. As they went the once forested area turned into a grassland. Then the Death Qi grew so thick it was like night had fallen already. Grasses withered, died, and petrified before absorbing Death Qi and turning into hideous shrubbery. Lineir gingerly touched one of the blackened shrubs and recoiled as it suddenly tried to latch onto his foot. A small dagger sliced the grasping grass before it could spread over Lineir's boot.

"Careful. Everything here is filled with the intent of Death Qi. It naturally seeks to devour all life." The mellow voice of Dan the exorcist warned Lineir as he retrieved his dagger, wiping off dark purple ooze from the grass. Lineir faded back into the shadows as he sighed,

"What kind of power. To turn an entire region into a wasteland. Mei what do you make of this." He asked.

"Kiddo, don't be too surprised. You remember how we first met right? That Undead City was something similar. Those who walk too far down the path of necromancy and lose themselves inevitably bring disaster to the places they visit. Just be thankful you are of the Darkness element, the Death Qi here should not harm you, indeed it may even provide a small boost." She said and Lineir nodded. He had already noticed that the pervasive Death Qi seemed almost like oxygen rich to his Darkness side. It was so strong he almost felt swollen and drunk off of it.

Crunch.

"Oaaaaaahhhh" A sudden groan whispered on the wind and the group paused. Yu raised his hand as Dan raised a large compass the size of a man's head. Checking the various dials and needles inside he nodded,

"We're in deep now, the Undead have begun to appear." 

Sure enough, not long after Dan's prediction they came across a lone ghoul trekking across the grasslands. It was wearing cut up clothes which were stained from the long years a bloody red. However, it was unable to catch sight of the group at the distance and through the concealment formation. 

"Euuuugh so gross. Should we kill it?" Ting asked but Yu shook his head. 

"It's not worth it. We might feel alone but on this grassland any blood spilt may attract attention far and wide. Let us just go around." He said and they took a wide semicircle around the ghoul which continued to wander off. However, it was not soon afterwards that they came across an entire group of ghouls. 

"We'll avoid these too. However, I fear if they are appearing this often this far from the city then we may have a problem..." Yu said his face turning negative. However, he remained upbeat. "Whatever, worst case we go in full force and fight our way to the Pillar. However, let's keep the stealth approach up for as long as we can. Get as close as we can and avoid giving our enemies a chance to profit yea?" He said and everyone nodded in agreement. Without another word they all walked away from the ghouls and headed towards the city with heavy hearts.