Ch. 60- The Phoenix and Tortoise

As the death Qi was about to hit the walls, Lineir leaped and prayed that he wouldn't land in too many undead. Red waves of madness streaked across his vision and time slowed as he coldly analyzed that he was going to land in a clump of five undead doing battle with a group of regular soldiers. His bone blades came out, and he prepared to deal with them all, when the death Qi hit the walls behind him and they exploded inward, runic enchantments failing to hold up under this full power immortal blow!

Boom! Rumble Rumble Rumble Pa! Pa! Pa!

All around, what parts of the wall hadn't simply evaporated under the power rained down as massive chunks of shrapnel, destroying men and dead alike. Lineir, calmly observed the pieces falling and twisted in the air to avoid them before alighting on top of one as it fell unto the undead he had been planning on landing in.

Crunch!

The rock did his work for him, and Lineir stayed on top as it crushed his foes, ignoring the frantic battle around him to stare out the fallen walls at the immortal angel of darkness.

"Ready to come out and play Laightner? Had enough, or should I destroy the foundation of your holy city as well!" Laughing manically, the angel raised his sword and began to gather darkness for another blow.

"Answer me!" He raised his hand for another finishing blow, and when there was no response, laughed,

"Fine, this city is finished!" Down came the sword and the mad waves of death Qi, though this time there were no walls to shield the inhabitants of Lightholme from the blow. Lineir hurriedly looked for cover, despairing his luck to be caught up in this struggle so soon after the events at the pillar.

FFFhhhhhaaaaa!

At that moment however, a blazing blur of vermillion streaked by from the ocean, and slammed into the angel, as simultaneously, a thick wall of translucent purple fog rose up and shielded the city in a bubble. The waves of death Qi spread harmlessly against the walls and dissipated, and the hordes of undead outside could only hammer helplessly against this barrier. Inside, the remaining paladins, priests, and soldiers soon got the situation under control, fighting evenly with the undead now that there were no more undead reinforcements streaming into the city. Lineir backed away from the front lines and carefully observed the events overhead. With his Madness ability, he could make out the figures fighting in the distance.

In front of the city, a huge purple tortoise had appeared, and from it's shell, on which an indescribably mystical formation was naturally etched, purple fog rose which blocked out the undead. in the skies, a blazing yellow-red haired female had appeared and was doing battle with the angel. Her fiery red sword would clash with his dark blade and sparks would fly down below lighting entire cohorts of undead on fire, as raging wisps of death Qi would fall and skeletons would rise up from the ashes. From this female cultivator's back, came beautiful wings of pure vermillion flame, the sight of which was like watching the last rays of the setting sun cross the horizon. However, as this female cultivator exchanged blows with the dark angel, the death Qi grew thicker and thicker, and fewer and fewer sparks appeared as the angel seemed to gain the upper hand.

"Hahaha, Phoenix and Tortoise, did you come to die with your old friend? While the pact might not permit me to harm him while this city still stands, you are hardly covered by the Heaven's ways! But where are your companions? No matter, stay right there tortoise, when I have finished with her, you're next!" The angel was extremely excited, he had been waiting so long without response from his foe, now to finally be able to fight against an actual opponent, he was actually delighted.

"You, fiend, to prey on mortals and steal their bodies to make such a vile army, we two divine beasts can hardly look away while holding our heads high!" The female cultivator addressed as phoenix suddenly flared up into an orange inferno, her wings expanding and her body encapsulated in fire. Wreathed in flame, she transformed into a true phoenix, leaving behind her human form, her sword expanding into a gleaming beak of fire.