Chapter 149-Nightwatch

One day I'll go big in this generation and write a whole ebook. One day.

"When the candle burns out wake the next member for the watch. De will take first watch." Yu said before he and Ting put their backs to the wall and fell asleep in each other's arms. Lineir watched the candle slowly ooze into rivulets of wax. He stared out into the moonless sky into the mist.

"You're from the lower realms right?" Dan settled down next to Lineir while inking a white scrap of parchment with a horsetail calligraphy brush. Lineir was surprised,

"Is it so obvious?" He asked as he rested his head on the backs of his arm. "This place feels very foreign to me. Just a short while ago I was a peak existence on my continent, if not my entire world. Now I struggle simply to fly again." He grinned ruefully. "I'm like a hatchling bird learning to fly again."

"Haha, you seem surprised by a lot of things that we are familiar with, such as the False Netherdrake so I guessed. However, though your cultivation is low, your age is also a bit lower than ours. Even amongst our youth you count as a genius though I have certainly seen those who have reached higher cultivation levels. But I can tell you this. I've never seen a youth with your cultivation who the higher ups have trusted on a mission like this. Not one. So don't feel down, you will grow and we will protect you until you are ready." 

Tch Tch tch tch

Little scratches came from Dan's brush as he calmly scratched out the arcane talisman high on the ramparts above the dead. Dan posed a question to Lineir,

"I wonder how many of us can survive this battle? And then the next. And the next. Am I smart for thinking about the future or dumb for worrying? Tell me Lineir from the lower realms, what is your take on the struggle of martial arts? Why fight when you will die in the end?" 

A wisp of low flying ground drifted down and touched the rampart. Obscured the walkway in the distance, eating it up like an all encompassing shadow. Lineir watched as he mused on the question,

"I'm not sure. In almost battle where I've risked my life, I've fought because I had no choice. This one, though, I do have a choice, albeit I'll admit I didn't exactly want to join this. But I am fighting for someone dear to me now. It feels...strange" He grinned as he imagined Mei sitting in the sword watching him. He felt a little embarrassed.

"That's good. But still, you haven't really answered the question. Even if you fight for yourself, or for someone else, in the end you and they will all die. For though we pursue immortality, we are not the High Heavens nor are the Treacherous Hells. We are just humans and in the end we will fade to dust. And even if you did somehow become immortal, what then? What is it at the peak that you strive for?" Dan asked with surprising fervor though his pen never deviated from its gentle scratching rhythm.

Scritch..Scratch...Scribble...Scrabble

It took Lineir a long time this time to answer. To be honest, he had shut out thoughts like this before. After all, he had always been running from one place to another. One fight to the next, he hadn't had time to think about the point because he needed to survive. Finally...

"I don't know haha!!" He said his usually calm demeanor breaking into a smile. "I just want to. It's something I've gotten used to doing. Surviving that is. Isn't that how it should be?" 

Dan smiled back as his pen stopped and he held up the talisman, only to realize there was no moonlight in the dark Death Qi haze. He took it to the incense candle which had begun to burn out. Now it was just a calm pool of liquid wax.

"Haha, to be honest I do not have an answer either. Long ago I took an oath to exterminate evil. I wanted to protect the living and the innocent. Yet no matter how many protective talismans I make I always end up having to carry a weapon. My Dao has changed along with my Third Heart many times. Perhaps yours will too." He was about to pocket the protective talisman when Lineir's face tensed up.

"Watch out!" He yelled as suddenly a dark shadow breached the shadowy fog. From the ramparts warlike forms came. The squad immediately came awake and De who had been about to sound the alarm as well immediately shot a bolt of fire into the coming shapes.

Flame Tongue!

"Undead!" He yelled and the squad opened their eyes as the flames exploded and revealed the assailants.

"HAssssssaaaa!!!" Rasping Undead cries lit up the night and now that a fight had broken out De immediately went on the offensive. Arcing fireballs shot up into the sky from his hands and poured down like a yellow rain.

Xiu Xiu Xiu Xiu Xiu

The enemy was a party of undead running atop the ramparts at least 40 strong covered in rusting armor and wielding corroded weapons. However, though the weapons were corroded, amidst the glow of the flames one could spot many ancient etchings where once powerful runes had been cut. Each of these soldiers had once been at the initial Divine Realm! At their front was a general at the Celestial Realm!

"A guard party, we must be closer to the watchtower than I thought!" Yu shouted as Dan shook his sleeves and countless talismans hung off his arms. "No! Don't attack Dan, it'll attract too much attention, save your talismans! Let us handle this!" 

Lineir retreated to the back of the group as the Celestial Realm geniuses took up positions in front of him. Dan also retreated next to him, smiling,

"Hehe, I guess you and I are poorly suited for this fight ehh?" He chuckled as De's fireballs landed and blasted several skeletons of the rampart, armor and all. They fell quietly in the air, down into the city. However many more reached the party and it quickly devolved into a melee!

Swish Swish Clank Clank Clang

The sounds of battle rang out as the parties silently executed cultivator techniques against the skeletons which crudely fought back with brute force. Though they possessed little of their previous understanding of the Laws, their bodies were still imbued with the power of the Divine Way and they had triple the numbers of the squad. Additionally they were exceptionally difficult to kill as most wounds would not even slow them down. However, even still they were dispatched as they were flung off the sides of the rampart quite easily. Lineir and Dan in the back were observing cautiously. 

TSssssss

A foreboding feeling crept on Lineir and he turned his head to realize that another squad of Undead this time with 3 Celestial Realm skeletons were approaching. 80 skeletal footsoldiers wielding maces, axes, swords, and spears followed their captains with emanating the aura of the Divine Realm. 

"Behind us!" He cried as Dan realized the problem as well. Yu glanced as he knocked away the Celestial Realm skeleton. A second later even more reinforcements arrived from the original front, a further skeleton squad with 5 Celestial Realm skeleton Captains!

"Alright! There's too many to fight, we'll only attract more! We need to jump!"