Chapter 17

Chapter 17

While walking across the hall with a cheerful and skipping Ann by her side, Akira dreaded each step she took towards the gym. She asked herself why she is even doing this, when she can practically just don’t care about anything at all. But she didn’t want to disappoint Ann, she seemed determined about what she’s doing.

      “Ann!” someone yelled from a distance. Stopping at their paths, both decided to look at the source of the voice. “It’s your teacher, Yuki! She’s asking for you to come in the music room right now! She said it was urgent!”

      “What?” she looked up at Akira, who nodded encouragingly at her.

      “You could go on, Ann. I’m sure I can track my way to the gym on my own.” she told her, smiling.

      “Are you really sure?” she asked.

      “Of course. Go on.”

      “I’ll catch you later then!” she advanced towards the person who called her and they both headed towards a single direction. Once Ann disappeared from Akira’s line of view, she immediately dropped her smile and sighed hopelessly.

      “How exactly am I going to do that?” she asked herself, scratching her scalp. She trotted towards a random direction, stopping right when she encountered a junction of three different passages. Looking between her left, right, and front, she started asking herself which way she was going to take. “This isn’t good. I’m not good with directions.” she muttered to herself.

      “Let’s see.” she rubbed her chin and pointed to her left. “Eeniee miniee minie moe, which direction shall I go?” she ended up pointing at the direction in front of her. “No. Certainly bad. The last time I did this . . .” she smacked her forehead in frustration as she remembered the last time she did that when trying to find the direction where she ‘guessed’ her father had followed.

      “Hey, are you okay?” she lifted her head and saw a girl standing in front of her. She was wearing a big smile on her face, seemingly friendly.

      “Oh, uh, yeah. I think so.”

      “Well, in my opinion, I think you’re lost. You were looking between here and there since a while ago. Which way are you going exactly?”

      “I’m going to the gym.” she responded.

      “Great. I’m going there, too. You know,” she raised some pompoms in the air, causing a slight sound to bubble. “Cheerleading tryouts.”

      “Oh, great. If you don’t mind taking me with you.” Why am I even doing this?

      “No problem. This way.” she said, guiding her to the right.

      “Thanks.”

      They passed by busy students running around or simply walking nonchalantly either with groups or individually. Akira was surprised to even find how energetic this school was being. It was full of life you wouldn’t even notice them being . . . different.

      “It’s so infuriating.” the girl muttered.

      “What?” Akira craned her neck slightly and looked at her at the corner of her eyes.

      “Pardon my rudeness. My name’s Ruby.” she told her, taking her hand and shaking it. “I’m sorry about my mumbling a while ago. It’s just that because there’s this new girl and suddenly, the entire school’s hyped up. It’s not that uncommon for us to receive a new student. But . . . seriously, just because she’s the mate of Alpha Adam, doesn’t mean they should get all this . . . excited.”