Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Having an expensive car park in front of a simple café was enough to catch attention. What if a seemingly beautiful couple were to disembark while being tied together by cuffs? With a cute teenager prancing after them?

      “Wow.” A woman gushed. “Those two are so romantic. They even bothered wearing eternity bracelets.”

      When Akira heard the woman’s statement, it took all her willpower not to punch the lights out of her. Who the hell mistakes cuffs for a ridiculous eternity bracelet? What the hell? Seriously?

      “Adam.” Akira said in a low, cold voice. “Remove these cuffs. Now.”

      Adam turned to Akira with an innocent-looking smile and raised his brows questioningly. “Hmm? Did you say anything?”

      “You—“ Akira was about to tell him off when she saw Ann eagerly looking through the large glass windows of the café. She didn’t want to ruin everything just because of her and Adam’s usual bantering, so she instead kept everything to herself and crossed her arms.

      “This is where we’re supposed to meet Ann’s mother?” She asked instead.

      “Yes. This is it. Café Rogue.” He stated.

      “I’m happy the two of you came with me.” Ann suddenly spoke. “But you could’ve let me go by myself.”

      Before Akira even opened her mouth, Adam beat her to it. “What are you talking about? You’re my precious little assistant. You’ve done well helping me out these past few years even with your current age.”

      “I only did that because I needed to work for a place to sleep.” She told him. “You’ve done a lot of things for me, Alpha Adam. You were the one who allowed me to go to school and stuff. You didn’t need to go this far.”

      “Well, I’ve got to thank you for taking care of Akira, right? You’ve been with her serving as her little maidservant this past week.”

      “But I did that because I wanted to . . . what you’re doing is really unnecessary.”

      “Nevertheless, we’re a family. You’re already like a little sister to me.”

      “That’s true.” Akira added. “Despite the short time we’ve been together, I can’t help but see you as my little sister already. So don’t ever say it’s unnecessary, alright?”

      “Oh . . . um . . . yes . . .” She trailed off, her voice going faint until it totally faded on the very last word. Ann dropped her gaze to the ground and remained quiet.

      Curious of her sudden silence, Akira bent down and cupped her cheek. “Hey, are you okay?”

      Warm tears fell on her hand and that was the only moment when the girl realized she was crying. Akira was about to comfort her when the teenager suddenly ran into her arms and sobbed.

      “Thank you very much, Akira.” She then pulled back, wiping her wet cheeks dry.

      She hugged Adam next and pulled away after a few seconds, whispering consecutive apologies and thanks. When the drama in front of the café was over, Adam suggested they enter finally in order to avoid keeping her mother from waiting.

      “Let’s go.”

      When they entered, however, they were taken aback by what was waiting for them. The whole, peaceful ambiance of the café shattered when the supposedly everyday customers pulled out guns and pointed it to them. Even the ones at the counter had their own weapons with them.