Chapter 11

Daryl's P.O.V

Max was not down here with us. I don't know where she is at and I am getting worried. I have Judith in my arms. I am trying to keep her calm. I don't mind it. I need the practice. Carl looks horrible. He is trying to hold on, but he is not going to make it much longer. The poor kid has done a lot to get this far. Rick is gonna need all the support he can get. I see Michonne slam Dwight against the wall. I walk over to see what is going on.

"Make it stop. Make them stop" yelled Michonne.

"I can't" he said.

He is suppost to be one of Negan's trusted men. He is scared of what will happen if he approches Negan now.

"You are one of them. Please. Please" said Michonne.

She wants this to stop just like I do. I want to go find Max. She needs me.

"Isn't the hilltop safe" asked Rosita.

"Yeah" said Dwight.

"We need to get everyone there. We could get Carl there" she says.

"You think you all got away in the woods? Now they are looking" said Dwight.

"They say us go west. We won't go west" Rosita said.

She has a point. If we can get up to the hilltop with Maggie we could be safer up there.

"Your best chance is to stay here until they're gone" said Dwight.

He is wrong. I know he is.

"No, they find us here we are dead" I said.

I am not going to put these people in danger because he might be wrong. Carl needs to be protected. I know Rick wants him alive as long as possible.

"Their almost gone, they've gotta be. It wasn't about destroying the place. They don't have enough amo for that. After they let up, after they are gone that is when we go" said Dwight.

"Ok. We wait" said Rosita.

She agreed and I guess we are all going with it.

"Are you sure going to the hilltop is the safest place" asked Dwight.

"You got a better plan" asked Rosita.

Hell no he does not. He needs to keep his plans to his self.

"All of you in one place together" said Dwight.

I cut him off.

"All of us. Together. We'll be their worest nightmare" I said.

That is a promise and a threat.

After a while the shooting stops. It was a miracle that Dwight was right.

"They are starting to let up: said Dwight.

"You where right" said Rosita.

"Maybe" I said.

Then I handed Judith to Rick. He can hold his daughter. Maybe it will make him feel a little bit better. He needs her right now and she needs him. Then we find out that the saviors are gone. We need to move soon.

"I'll take her. I will get her there and keep her safe. I got this" I said.

It is a good idea that Michonne stays for support. He needs her too.

"Let me say good-bye" I heard from a weak Carl.

He got help up and starts to talk.

"You be good ok. For Michonne, for Dad. You got to honor him and listen to what he tells you stuff. You don't have to always. Sometimes kids have to show their parents the way. This was Dads before it was mine, and now it's yours. I don't know, I guess just having it always kept Dad with me. Helped me feel as strong as him. And helped me. Maybe it will help you too. Before mom died, she told me that I was going to beat this world. I didn't, but you will. I know you will" said Carl.

"to everyone here you are a hero" I said to Carl.

I had to do one of the hardest things. Judith reached for Carl and I had to take her away. I could not handle what he said. It was sad. Carl is a hero to everyone here.

Now we are on our way to the hilltop. I hope to see Max there. She has to be there.