thirty

2:03 am, 11th August, 1978

Harper closed her eyes. Before her stood a towering, historic building. It's large green front door stood out against the dark, rotting oak frame and lack of light within. It didn't appear as though anyone lived there, but inside resided a family. They had only recently moved to the location but there were no boxes in sight. As the wind of the particularly cold summer day howled, it sent shivers through the house framework and whistled in the rooms.

Then a crack sounded.
And now Harper stood in front of the house she had just been picturing in her mind.

"Remus..." She breathed out slowly, looking up at the derelict house for a moment.

Harper dashed up the uneven stone stairs and hurriedly knocked on the bright green front door. In an instant Hope Lupin had pulled open the door and was smiling warmly at the girl.

"Harper? Darling, I didn't know you were coming. Please come, come in." Hope gestured inside, allowing Harper to pass.

"I did send an owl to Remus but... It was only a couple of hours ago." Harper explained, standing awkwardly in the middle of the hall.
"That boy doesn't tell me anything... Ah, well he hasn't really been up and about much... You know... He's in his room although he might be sleeping." Hope began slowly, "I imagine you'd rather see him that stand here chatting with me."

Harper laughed nervously, digging her hands into her pockets trying to think of something to say.

"Hope, love, who was that?" Lyall asked, peering around the doorway causing his eyes to land on Harper.
"Hi, Mr Lupin." Harper grinned.
"Oh, Harper. It's lovely to see you. Here to visit Remus?" Lyall smirked.

Harper nodded, "Yeah, is that okay?"
"Sure thing, he's upstairs in his room." Lyall allowed her to leave.

Hope stared at her husband as he spoke, "You talk too much, the girl only wanted to see Remus." Lyall chuckled quietly.

Harper tiptoed up the stairs, not wanting to cause any load creaks that might awake Remus. Hesitantly she knocked on the door, pressing her ear against the wood to listen out for any sound of life.

"Yeah?" A croaky voice sounded from inside the room.

She didn't respond, instead pushed open the door and stepped inside.

"Harp?" Remus widened his eyes at the sight of her. Harper's normally wild mane of hair was pulled back into a tight ponytail and she wore an overly large shirt that nearly reached her knees, drowning her body. She smiled so brightly at the sight of him. However Remus was not so well put together. He was curled up on his side in bed with one arm stretched out from under his sheets, resting against the cool windowsill. Remus was pale, with great bags under his eyes and a large, open wound running down his exposed forearm. His droopy eyelids rose and the exhaustion that carried with him everywhere faded slightly.

"Remus..." Harper breathed out, rushing to his side and pulling him into a desperate embrace.

"Harp." Remus mumbled as he nuzzled into her neck and wrapped his stronger arm around her.
"Sorry, am I hurting you?" Harper jumped back slightly upon realising this.
"No... No." Remus lied.

She hovered beside his bed, unsure of what to do with herself.

"You can-"

Then her eyes landed on his exposed arm. Remus pushed himself upright in his seat, noticing where Harper's eyes had landed.

"Y-your arm..." She sat down on the edge of his bed now, leaning across to gently pull his arm towards her.
"It's fine... Look, my dad tried some magic on it and it's not bleeding anymore." Remus added hopefully.

Harper held his arm in her laps, tracing her finger along the side of the gaping wound, her eyes glistening in the dim light.

Remus Lupin was, without a doubt, the bravest person she had ever met.

"They're still getting worse." Harper's voice was almost a whisper, "Each month..."
"Yeah but I'm coping." Remus lied again.

And this time Harper saw straight through it.
"Are you really?"
"Yeah."
"Remus, please."

He sighed, knowing he couldn't lie anymore.

"Okay... I'm scared." He finally admitted. Remus didn't know why he had been nervous to admit his fears, Harper would always understand him.

"You'd be an idiot not to be." Harper finally looked up at him.
"Thanks." He replied sarcastically.
"I wish there was something I could do to make things better. You know I'd stop it if I could... You're so brave, you know? Like, you're the bravest person I've ever met and I'm so proud and so in awe of you and... I just want you to be okay and to never be scared of anything." She moves her gaze back down to his arm.

"I love you." Remus grinned at her.

"Good thing I love you too." Harper smiled back.

Remus moved his arm away, lying it back across the windowsill where the coolness of the wood relaxed his muscles.

"Are you tired? I can go, your parents said you weren't recovering very quickly and-"
"Stay. Please." Remus replied quietly.

Harper bit the bottom of her lip as she remained sat on the edge of his bed, gently swinging her legs too and fro. 

"Come here," Remus lifted his other arm out, rolled up his baggy sleeve to above his elbows, and grasped Harper's hand.
"What?" She asked, looking up at him from her lap.

"Lie down with me." Remus nodded once, pulling her towards him.
"And what if your parents come in?"
"We're only napping." He shrugged, not caring too much about anything else.

Remus lifted up the cover of his bed and allowed Harper to lie down beside him. She rested her head against his shoulder and held her hand over his chest, whilst he snaked his arm around her back and pulled her against him. Under the sheets, their legs entangled and their breathing synced up as they lay together, in bliss, in each other's company.

"Harper?"

She lifted her head to look up at him.

"Can I kiss you?" He asked.
"Yes please."

And their lips locked. And a little later they drifted off into sleep.

Harper rolled about and moved restlessly against his side, whilst Remus sniffled and sneezed as her hair flew about his face. Yet, neither awoke as despite everything, their sleep was perfect and untainted and nothing could have been better that to be in each other's arms.