twenty five

4:16 pm, 23rd April, 1977

Time in Hogwarts flew by and summer was fast approaching

Remus stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom of the boy's dormitories, tracing his fingers over his face. The large red scar paved its way from above his brow bone, across his nose, down his cheek, over his jaw, and ending just as it reached his neck. Over the years Remus has suffered from a great many scars covering his body but this was different. The wound had been healed with ease at the Hospital Wing, yet because it was from a werewolf - himself - it would scar and remain visible for a great many weeks. Now the scar was a vibrant red colour and the slightest movement in his face caused pain to sear all over. There was no way he could hide this from people. Remus would be asked questions he couldn't answer and then what would happen?

"Moony? You alright?" Sirius knocked on the door quietly.

Sirius, James, and Peter had been particularly worried about Remus upon returning from the full moon. They had seen the boy that morning and were instantly weary of the thoughts going through his mind. The boys had also spent the entire day fending off Harper and Lily as they bombarded them with questions about Remus' wellbeing.

"Fine, Padfoot." Remus replied bluntly.

Remus wondered what Harper would say. He was scared of how she would react. Not that she would back away from him, or be frightened, more that Remus was concerned about how Harper would treat him. She wouldn't be rude or nasty, she would fear for him. There wasn't a doubt in Remus' mind that Harper would treat him like a shattered plate or a delicate flower for the foreseeable future.

"Moony?" James called out as he knocked on the door, "Mate, come out. We're worried, and not about the scar."

Remus sighed. If he stepped outside that room then the questions would ensue. Not just the whispers behind his back, but the blatant questions he would be asked by people who didn't know better. Then, he was certain that his friends would stand up for him.
What would they say though?
There were only so many excuses they could come up with.

"Moony, we're not leaving until you come out."

Slowly and uncertainly, Remus pulled his gaze away from the mirror, lowering his head as he pulled open the door and stepped back into the dormitory.

"Moony, thank Merlin! You have no idea what I've had to put up with today! Harper spent all of potions sat next to me asking questions and poking me in the side." Sirius smiled at his friend, attempting to offer some comfort.
"You didn't mention..." Remus gestured to his face, "This?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." James shrugged.
"You can't just ignore the scar. That makes it wo-" Remus started angrily.

"You look a bit like David Bowie, you know? A few years ago he did this album with a lightning bolt across his face and it looked kind of like yours." Peter interjected proudly.

"David Bowie? What are you on about?" Sirius shook his head.
"He's a... a muggle singer..." Remus chuckled now, "My Mum likes him."

Sirius looked to James for an explanation but they were both equally clueless. The small smile etched on Remus' face faded as he caught sight of his bed. Almost instantaneously, a tidal wave of exhaustion overcame him and nothing could have been sweeter than to fall asleep for a long night.

However this was not an option as he had one more person to see to.

Harper Brooke.

She paced up and down in the common room, frantically tying up her hair and then letting it fall loose and then retying it over and over. All day her mind and been playing out various scenarios of what could have possibly happened last night. Nothing terrible could have happened or the Marauders world have mentioned so. But then again, why wasn't Remus in classes?

As the days had crept closer and closer to the full moon, Remus had grown closer and closer to the edge. He had been tense and often snapped at people, completely abandoning his usual sarcastic remarks. He had spent most of his spare time sleeping or just staring out of the window. Now, Harper had expected him to be even more exhausted but maybe also relax a bit more. She couldn't handle the self pity that Remus so often wallowed in.

Just as she was about to give in and find Lily in search of some advice, Remus Lupin trudged down the stairs.

"Remus!" Harper's face lit up as her eyes landed on him.

Remus couldn't believe his own eyes as Harper dashed towards him. He noticed her eyes glanced over his face, over the deep set bags under his eyes and the bruises and... the scar. But her eyes didn't linger. She didn't freeze, she didn't even hesitate for a moment.

Harper pulled Remus into a hug, resting her head against his chest and feeling his heart gently beat through his oversized, ragged jumper.

"Harper... I..." Remus didn't know the words to say.
"Are you okay? You're not in pain? It was alright?" Harper murmured quietly.
"It was fine, I'm fine. No pain, nothing."

This could not have been further from the truth.
Every muscle in Remus' body ached and it took every ounce of energy to keep his eyes from falling closed.

"I don't want to keep you awake... I was just worried, but I know you don't want me to worried." Harper sighed, stepping back from Remus.

She stared up at him intently, but despite this Remus knew she wasn't looking at his scar.
Remus knew she was looking at him.

"I want to stay here with you, sorry for not explaining everything." Remus held his hands on either side of Harper's face.
"It's fine, it's fine... They're getting harder aren't they? Each month?"

Remus couldn't reply. The words couldn't even form in the back of his throat. Instead, Remus just nodded weakly, allowing Harper to comfort him and bring a smile to his face once again.