two

5:54 pm, 6th September, 1976

Remus Lupin was sat on the floor of the Gryffindor common room, in front of the fire

Remus Lupin was sat on the floor of the Gryffindor common room, in front of the fire. Normally, this wouldn't be his ideal seat as the heat made him a little uncomfortable. He was certain anyone would rather be sat on the sofa rather than leaning against it like he was. Nevertheless, he was content for the time being.

As his eyes scanned over the pages of his potions book he felt a slight nudge on his back. Slowly, so as not to wake her up, he turned around to check on her. Harper was still lay across the length of the sofa, her eyes gently closed and hugging a cushion up to her neck. She looked peaceful.

The young boy watched her for a minute, his eyes focusing on her chest slowly rising with each breath, to her eyelids that flickered every few seconds and to her lips that formed a small, pure, smile.

There was no denying it, the boy was hooked.
There was also no way out of it.

Sighing, he turned back around, the burning sensation from the fire hit his cheeks once again and he squinted his eyes as he tried to focus of the words in his book.

After a few more minutes and relaxing peace the door to the common room flew open. The slam of the painting hitting the bare, stone walls sent an echo throughout the room. Behind him, Harper stirred, slowly awakening from her slumber.

"You should have seen the look on Snape's face!" Sirius practically shouted as him, James, and Peter bounded into the room with excitement.

Without moving his eyes away from his book Remus asked, "What did you do?".
"Nothing Snivellus the slimy git didn't deserve!" James stated proudly, edging closer to the sofa.

"Do you guys ever shut up." Harper mumbled, slamming her face into the cushion and moving to lie on her front.
"If you don't want to listen to the most handsome hero tell you about how he defeated the evil snake villain, then go to bed." Sirius whipped his hair behind him, pushed Harper's legs off the sofa and sat down in the newly vacated space.

"Oh my hero! Please tell us of your brave quest." She groaned, finally lifting her head up.

Remus watched as the exhausted girl rubbed her eyes and attempted to flatten her knotted hair. After a few futile attempts to tidy herself up she gave up and lent back in her seat. Remus slowly lifted himself up to sit on the sofa between Sirius and Harper.

"Guys ready to head to dinner?" Peter piped up and James chuckled to himself quietly.
"As always." Sirius stood up, flashed a wink to a fifth year girl sat at the table against the wall.
"Oh dear God." Harper rolled her eyes and shared an embarrassed look with Remus.

"So," Sirius began as the marauders and Harper made their way out of the common room and down to the Great Hall.
"Lily! I have a question to ask..." James burst out as the group rounded the corner, nearly bumping into the redhead.
"The answer will be no, Potter." Lily retorted before turning to Harper and smiling brightly at her, "I was coming to find you for dinner." She linked arms with the girls as the group continued on.

"So back to my story... Snivellus," Sirius coughed, drawing the attention back to himself.
"Don't call him that." Lily flicked the back of his head, earning a dirty glare from the boy.
"Snivellus," Sirius repeated, "Was talking about mudbloods and-"
"He wouldn't dare say anything like that!" Lily growled now, which was enough for Sirius to finally shut up.

Harper ran her tongue over her bottom lip and held a supportive hand on Lily's arm. The two girls smiled at each other as they entered the hall. Harper didn't like to believe that Snape would be so cruel considering his obvious adoration for Lily, but she wouldn't hold it past him to talk that way.

There was something suspicious about Snape, Harper just couldn't put her finger on it.

The Great Hall was as unbelievable as ever. Burning candles held loosely above everyone's heads as if supported by strings, but there were no strings. As soon as you walked in you were engulfed in a warm, comforting atmosphere. Inside the hall the four tables stood as proud as ever, full to the brim with students chatting and laughing.

The group of six strode into the hall and revelled in the attention that came their way. Slowly they made their way up the hall, passing students that turned to watch them go. As they sat in the middle of the Gryffindor table they could easily hear students around the murmuring about the group. Without a doubt they were popular. Nobody except a few gutsy Slytherins would dare cross their path.

"I'm starving!" Peter slammed his hand down on the table, earning a laugh from the group before he lurched forward and grasped for every tray of food within his reach.

Whilst the boy barely spoke, he was undeniably as much a part of the group as any other. Although the Marauders enjoyed to keep their business to themselves, the boys couldn't help but invite the girls along with them - for more reasons than pranking.

"Here," Remus passed Harper a small plate piled high with garlic bread.
"You know me so well," She beamed, taking the plate.
"Unfortunately."
"Unfortunately? I'm great!"
"Sure... Tell me again when your breath smells of garlic."
"Why are you sniffing my breath?"
"I'm not, you can just smell it."
"You can just smell it." She mocked before shoving the garlic bread in Remus' mouth.
This encounter between the two caused Lily and James to share a knowing look.

"I thought garlic bread could kill werewolves." Sirius shrugged nonchalantly, as if werewolves were a casual topic of conversation.
Lily narrowed her eyes at Sirius but he didn't notice.

"That's vampires you moron." Harper rolled her eyes, "And that's just a myth. Do you actually pay attention in classes?"
"Honey, teachers are lucky if I turn up to class. If I started paying attention they'd have it too easy." Sirius lent back, before realising there was no back to the bench and desperately grabbed hold of the table to pull himself forward again.

"Smooth Padfoot, that's how you get the ladies." James chuckled, tilting his head forward so his glasses slid down his nose slightly.
"I don't get the ladies, I have the ladies." Sirius winked at Harper, Lily and some unknown Ravenclaw girl that sat at the table behind the girls.

"You're all too cocky for your own good." Lily pushed her hair over her shoulder and picked up her drink.
"And that's why you love me," James reached his arm forward to take the girl's hand. The only caused the poor girl to choke on her drink and spend the following minutes coughing and spluttering once she'd pulled herself away.

"Looks like Lily would actually be dead before being with you." Harper murmured, keeping her eyes glued on her own food.
"I could say the same about you with R-" James started before Sirius rather violently elbowed the boy in the face.

James yelled, tearing his glasses from his face to inspect any damage done. With a shocked expression plastered on Lily and Peter's face, the two glanced between Harper and Remus. This however, only caused Remus to sink lower in his seat, hoping to vanish completely, and Harper to stop blinking for what must have been several long minutes.

Lily knew. Lily couldn't deny it.

Remus was devastatingly devoted to Harper. Everybody could see the way he watched her, the way he talked to her. Despite this, Harper was too busy worrying about the boy to actually acknowledge her own feelings.