one

11:06 am, 1st September, 1976

"This year's the year!" James punched the air in front of him as the four Marauders strolled down the Hogwarts Express

"This year I'm going to do it. I'm going to be so amazing she'll have to go out with me," He smirked as he ran his hand through his hair.

"I think I have more of a chance with her than you." Sirius chuckled, earning a nasty side-glare from James.

"Anyway," James continued, stamping on Sirius' foot and causing him to double over. "This year, I'm going to get my girl. And you," James stopped, spun around, and pointed at Remus, "You, are going to get your girl."

Remus rolled his eyes and sadly remembered that that wouldn't happen.

"It's been five, pitiful years Moony. If you're not going to get over it then you have to say something. I can't put up with this for a sixth year." Sirius shrugged nonchalantly as they neared the desired compartment.

"There's no point." Remus dug his hands into his pockets as his eyes trailed along the floor.
"I'll have to ask her out for you if you don't grow a pair." Sirius smirked again.

"Okay, here's the deal. If Lily says yes to me, you have to tell Harper. No backing out." James slung his arm around Remus' shoulder.

"I don't think so. I mean, guys, she doesn't even give me a second glance. I-" Remus quickly snapped his mouth shut as Peter pulled open the door.

They all shuffled one by one through the door.

"Hi guys!" Harper beamed.

Her hair was piled on top of her head in a messy bun, and her long cream jumper fell down to just above her knees.

In Remus' words, she looked breathtaking.

"Good summer Black? As usual, you didn't write." Harper didn't look up from her book as she spoke.
"You don't need me to write to know what a wonderful time I was having because I adore my family with all my heart." Sirius grumbled, folding his arms tightly over his chest.
"Snap!" Harper exclaimed, flashing him a quick smile before focusing back on her book.

"You seen Lily around?" James burst out, raising his eyebrows at her as she laughed.

Her laugh fell from her mouth like silk, her eyes lit up and Remus couldn't help but smile at her.

"She's in the prefect carriage." Harper opened her book again and James let out a frustrated sigh, sinking down in his seat.

"Speaking of which, I should be off." Remus remembered, pulling his robes over his shoulders as he rose.
"Well, guess I'll see you around." Harper looked up and waved at him.
"See you mate." Peter added, causing Sirius to snort.
"You're too well behaved for your own good," Sirius chuckled.
In response to this, Remus just shook his head gently before departing from the compartment.