eight

8:02 am, 18th November, 1976

"The owls are here," Lily pointed out, moving her head in the direction of the mass of birds flying towards them

"The owls are here," Lily pointed out, moving her head in the direction of the mass of birds flying towards them. The group watched as the owls swooped over the tables, dropping packages and letters on the laps of most of the students in the hall.

Harper was used to not getting many letters. What with the constant arguing between herself and her mother and the fact that Harper was friends with muggle-borns and supposed blood traitors, her mother didn't write much. Today was different.

An old grey owl swooped over Harper's head and dropped a small, near letter in her lap.

"Oh no." Harper grumbled, picking it up and eyeing the wax stamp on the envelope. It was undoubtedly from her mother. Not that anyone else would write to her.

With a large sigh she tore open the letter and carefully unfolded it. Remus sat beside her, wearily watching. Harper's eyes scanned the beginning of the letter. That was all she needed to read.

"Oh dear God." She moaned, hitting her forehead in the table and wrapping her hands over the back of her neck.
"What is it?" Remus asked.
"My mother wants me to go home for Christmas because her pureblood friends are visiting. She wants me to befriend them and hopefully I'll 'redeem myself' in her little social circle." Harper lifted her head up and folded the letter closed.

"That's nothing! The whole Ancient and Noble House of Black is visiting for Christmas which means I'm going to spend the whole time being told how I'm not as good as Regulus by the countless pureblood monsters that there'll be." Sirius reasoned.
"Well done, you officially have it worse than I do." She laughed slightly.

"Padfoot will probably sneak out and come to mine anyway, right?" James asked, tucking his own letter back in its envelope.
"Only if your parents are okay with it."
"Okay with it? If you cut your hair they'd prefer you over me!"

Harper let out a long sigh and stared down at her letter.

"Don't start moping around. It can't be that bad, let me read it." Sirius jumped forward and snatched it from her hand.

As his eyes scanned over the writing his face fell and he froze. The colour drained from his face and his usual smirk vanished.

"Black?" Harper raised an eyebrow at him and when he didn't respond, hissed "Sirius?"
"D-did you read all of this?" He asked after a moment, finally lifting his head up.
"No." She frowned.

Everyone's eyes in the group were now completely focused on Harper. Hesitantly she retrieved the letter from Sirius and gripped it for a moment before once again unfolding it. He eyes darted down to the last paragraph.

And I have news on your father. Unfortunately he passed away two weeks ago. Apparently he tried to get in contact with me so he could speak to you but that didn't work out.