eleven

13:49pm, 6th December, 1976

Harper twisted the ring on her middle finger absentmindedly as she waited at one of the tables in the library

"Harp," Remus stumbled over to the table with a stack of charms books in his arms.
"Remus." She nodded curtly.

Something snapped on her finger. She looked down to see the jewel on her ring had fallen off and the metal band had shattered.

"Oh Merlin..." she gasped, cupping up the broken pieces in her hand.
"How did you manage that one?" Remus eyed it.
"My dad's ring... I cant believe it..." She stared down in shock.
"It's fine, it's alright we can fix it with magic." Remus suggested, quite proud with himself for solving the issue.
"No... no... he wouldn't want that... I'll just, it's fine." She shook her head before pocketing the debris.

Remus felt terrible but decided it was best to let it go.

"We don't have charms work... Do we?" She picked up one of the books from the pile and flicked through its old pages.
"Er... No."
"Light reading?"
"Something like that."

Harper placed the book down and eyed the boy suspiciously as he sat down opposite her.

"What are you up to?" She asked.
"W-what? Why, what? Why would you assume I'm up to anything?"
"Firstly, that was a mess. Secondly, all four of you are up to something." She furrowed her eyebrows.

Remus sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"Okay, it's James' plan. It's not a prank but... It's brilliant." He grinned proudly.
Harper bit her bottom lip before smiling back at him.
"Okay." She folded her arms, "Impress me."

Remus explained the plan for the Marauders Map and how it would work and that James had entrusted Remus with being able to bring his idea to life.

"Let me get this right. You four are making a map so you don't get caught whilst pranking?"
"Yes."
"So you'll be stalking people?"
"Y-wait, no."
"So you won't be lay in bed at night watching people walk around the castle?"
"No?"

Harper smirked, "You don't sound so sure about that."
"You're making it sound creepy! It's not creepy!" He protested.
"Whatever you say..." She shrugged.

Remus sighed once again.

"Will you just help? Please." He leant forward.
"Why do you want my help? I suck at school." She admitted.
"You don't suck at charms, you're brilliant."

Harper couldn't hold back her smile, "Lily's the best, why don't you ask her?"
"She wouldn't help us prank people."
"So, you want my help because I'm the coolest person you've ever met?"
"Not just the coolest, but the best."