four

4:02 pm, 10th October, 1976

Remus' eyes fluttered open involuntarily

Remus' eyes fluttered open involuntarily. His eyes slowly adjusted to the bright afternoon light that flooded the room. Before he had the chance to lift himself up, he felt a weight on his arm. Remus grunted slightly as he turned to see a head resting on his forearm. Normally the full moons were calmer with the Marauders keeping Remus company in his monthly state. However, for some reason last night had been particularly violent and in the early hours of the morning the other Marauders had needed to drag Remus up to the Hospital Wing.

"Harp?" He asked. As he spoke his voice scratched his throat causing him to cough.

Slowly the girl stirred and awoke from her sleep, lifting her head to meet the eyes of her friend.

"Hey, Remus." Harper yawned, leaning back in her seat. However, her hands lingered on top of the boy's own hand.

As if suddenly becoming aware of where her hands were, Harper lifted them away. When she noticed the large scar the ran from Remus' bottom lip to his chin, she held up her hand and gently ran her thumb along the wound.
Remus pushed himself up despite every muscle in his body telling him otherwise.

"You're hurt..." Her eyes softened for a moment before she pulled herself away, leaning back in the creaking chair.
"I've been worse... Why are you here?" Remus asked quietly.
"We've been taking it in turns to keep you company." She explained before reaching down to pick up a small, faded leather book, "Thought you might want this to entertain you."
"What is it?"
"It's one of my dad's old muggle books, about magical creatures and fighting and stuff." Harper handed the book to him and smiled as he read the title: The Lord of the Rings.

"Oh, and take this." She handed him a small item wrapped in paper.
"What is it?"
"Chocolate, it'll make you feel better."
"Really?"
"Trust me, it really does work."

Before Remus had the chance to reply, the rest of the Marauders burst through the doors of the hospital wing with Lily trailing behind them.

Harper rose from her seat, pushing the chair back.

"Moony! You're up! We have the best plan!" Sirius patted Remus' shoulder, causing him to wince in pain.
"Sounds great... Maybe don't hurt me too much before I have a chance to point out the flaws in your plan." Remus chuckled whilst biting down rather hard on his bottom lip.

The others laughed in unison before Madam Pomfrey entered.
"What are you all doing here? Get out, the poor boy needs to rest! One can stay." She commanded as she tended to a shelf full of medicine.

"Lily, we should find Marlene; I need to tell her something." Harper stepped away from Remus' side and led Lily from the hospital wing.

As Harper hurried away, pulling Lily behind her, the redhead gasped for breath.
"Why do you need Marlene? You barely like her." Lily panted.
"W-what? Marlene is great!" Harper over exaggerated.
"No need to bother lying," Lily laughed as Harper sighed, finally admitting defeat.
"Okay, I have a plan to get Black to like her."  Harper smirked and that was all the convincing Lily needed.

The two girls continued down the corridors, slowly making their way up to the Gryffindor common room. They strode in through the portrait door and instantly spied Marlene lay on the sofa in front of the ever-burning fire.

"Marl!" Lily shouted, running over, "Harper has good news! A plan!" She giggled.

Marlene nearly jumped up into the air upon hearing the news.
"Well...? Go on!" An undeniable smile grew on the blonde girl's face.

"So, Black loves quidditch. He can't get on the team this year because McGonagall set it as a punishment last year. All you need to do is get on the team like you did last year. Except, you need to be next level amazing. Marlene, you have to win the game for Gryffindor in our first match and then spend the whole night talking about tactics and the World Cup and everything. No doubt in my mind says he won't be interested." Harper began explaining.

Before anyone had the chance to speak up, she continued: "Phase two." She stated proudly.
"There's a phase two?" Lily laughed.
"Oh my naive little flower, there's always a phase two." Harper winked, "You need to get with a boy. The second Black sees you as potentially interesting you need to be occupied - make him jealous."

And with that, Harper relaxed back in her seat and folded her arms confidently over her chest.

"You sure about this?" Lily asked hesitantly as she glances between the two girls.
"Sounds great!" Marlene grinned, "Only one problem though, what boy will get with me?"
"There's a certain Hufflepuff I know who's had his eye on you since last year." Harper smirked, "Diggory."

"Amos Diggory is not interested in me in the slightest!" Marlene burst into a fit of giggles.
"That's not what he told me," Harper tilted her head to the side and continued to smirk.

Whilst Harper's plan was unfolding, Remus was groaning and grunting in his bed in the hospital wing.

"Get over yourself, it's not that bad." Sirius rested his legs on the end of the bed and lent back in his chair.
"You could've torn our heads off and you don't hear us complaining." James chuckled softly.
"Not... Helpful. If anything, that m-makes me feel worse." Remus finally lay back down in his bed and stared up at the dull ceiling.

"Sorry Moony, but back to more pressing issues. I think my plan to woo Lily has taken a step backwards." James huffed, stretching out his arms in front of him.
"How come?" Peter asked.
"Well if Harper was that annoyed at that prank on Snivellus, can you imagine what Lily was like?" He sighed, sinking down in his seat.

Remus flinched at the memory of Harper glaring at the boys. She'd looked so disappointed as she rambled on about how their actions were no better than Snape's. Thinking about it now, she wasn't wrong. She was never wrong.

"Harp probably hates me." Remus rolled over onto his side and buried his face in the pillow.
"As if! That girl could never hate you." Sirius laughed obnoxiously, "Why would she spend all night in the Hospital Wing if she hated you?"

Remus sat up upon hearing this.

"She didn't spend all night here." He furrowed his eyebrows.
James scoffed, "What did she say?"
"She said you guys took it in turns to wait with me." Remus explained and this caused the other three boys to all look at each other before grinning.

"She's so in love with you." Sirius cackled now.
"As if." Remus grumbled.
"Why else would she make us leave and then be embarrassed about it?"

This only caused Remus' thoughts to run away with themselves. So many questions that he wouldn't dare ask her.

"So you guys didn't even offer to stay with me?" Remus asked, purposely teasing the other boys.
"We would've quite happily stayed out after hours, but Harper didn't look like she should be messed with after she said she'd keep you company." Sirius chuckled.

A large grin slowly grew on Remus' face at the thought of Harper sat patiently by his side all night.

She really was worth everything.