prologue

Friendship is when you love someone with every ounce of your being and genuinely want them to be happy even if it means sacrificing something your self to make them happy. A true friend is someone you can talk to about your feelings, someone you can tell things you could never tell your family or even your partner. They are someone who you don't have to talk to but someone you want to talk to; someone you will go out of your way to be with. Friendship is when you love someone so much you want to hold them and never let go, someone you want to rest your head on and cry, and you would let them cry on you too. It's someone you can talk to about things you disagree on and end up being closer for that disagreement. It's when you think about someone and how close you are to them and how much you love them and you smile and are happy all over.
Friendship is when your love for someone exceeds your need for them.

˚˳

10:47 am, 1st September, 1971

The small girl looked around the stunning platform in a daze. A complete daze.
Nothing. Nothing could have possibly prepared her for this.

She'd heard so many stories of adventure, mischief, and magic but now it was all coming true.

The regular, slightly faded, red brick floor guided her away from the platform entrance. Slowly, placing one foot in front of the other like a toddler learning to walk, she neared the train.

The Hogwarts Express.

Almost with an atmosphere of proudness, the scarlet train stood with steam rolling over the top and dozens of trunks being loaded aboard it.

"Darling, please slow down." Her mother's voice pleaded from beside her as they struggled through the dense knit crowd.
"Harper!"

She stopped, suddenly recognising the stern voice of her mother. Slowly now, the girl turned around and looked up.

Her mother stood above her, with her dark black hair tucked tightly into a bun that perched on the top of her head. Elizabeth Brooke had an aura of grace about her like no other. The woman moved as if she floated. Her long, layered, emerald dress that matched the shade of her narrow eyes, floated down to her ankles and only added to this impression of flying. As she stepped forward, her pristine, coal-coloured leather boots tapped against the hard flooring. When she raised her hand to hold her daughters cheek, a small, unusual smile grew on her porcelain face. The corners of her cherry lips curled upward ever so slightly, causing the corners of her eyes to crease - the only sign of age that befell her face. It was unnatural for a woman of her character to show any sign of warmth towards others.

Harper Brooke, on the other hand, was a completely different story. Whilst she had the same figure of her mother, ever so tall and slim, that was the only apparent similarity between the two. Her tanned skin glowed under the warm light of the platform. Long, wild hair cascaded down her body, ending just at her waist. The girl's hair was just darker than her skin, but even darker still were her large, round, deep brown eyes.

"Listen... I know you don't see things the same way I do but you have to listen. The mud-muggle borns here," Elizabeth leant forward ever so slightly and lowered her voice, glancing around the room. "They're not right... Just, please stay away. For my own sake, I can't have you associating with them and dirtying our name." She held out her hand to take the girl's arm.

"Our name? I don't want anything to do with the selfish, disgusting legacy you think you've built. If dad were here... If he was here I wouldn't have to listen. He'd agree." Harper hit back as she pulled herself from her mother's grasp.

"Your father isn't here. We both know why and I won't listen to you talk about him." Harper's mother hissed, desperate for her daughter to stay.
"He isn't here because your family scared him away. Your family not only ruined his life but mine too." She spat, before sliding away from her mother and deeper into the crowd.