twenty three

9:02 pm, 15th February, 1977

"But you haven't heard what they've been whispering

"But you haven't heard what they've been whispering. Before Christmas I heard what my uncle was saying to my mum." Harper whispered across the table.
"I'm sure it can't be worse than what my dad's been saying. The keep having all these private family visits for the adults. I swear one time they mentioned some fight or something." Sirius shook his head and glanced around.

"My uncle said muggle borns have been attacked."
"Yeah, yeah! Some dark man or lord or I don't know; I couldn't really hear them when they spoke about it." Sirius nodded quickly.

The Gryffindor common room was bustling with commotion as groups of people moved in and out, all chatting as they went. The fire crackled away whilst the wind whipped at the windows outside.

"You don't think it's serious, do you?" Harper asked.
"Why would they joke about that? Clearly you think they're serious or you wouldn't have pushed Moony away." Sirius pointed out.
"It's not my fault he doesn't understand."
"It's not my fault you didn't explain it to him."

Harper sighed and sunk down lower in her seat, covering her face with her hair. She kept messing Remus around and it would only be a matter of time before he realised he was better off without her. She felt like the smallest person in the world as she replayed their argument over in her head for what must've been the hundredth time. She was just trying to protect Remus in the only way she knew how, it wasn't her fault he didn't see that. But then again, maybe it was her fault.

"Harper." Sirius looked up and drew her attention to what was behind her.

Or rather who.

"Hi, Moony." Sirius smiled at the boy who stood in the doorway to the common room.
"Padfoot." Remus forced a smile back.

Remus couldn't deny the small pit of jealousy that grew in his stomach. Over the years, he and Harper had always been by each other's sides. But as the years passed, and time progressed, Sirius and Harper had grown closer. It was most likely a source of their similar families but they were commonly found in each other's company laughing and joking around - particularly when Remus and Harper weren't speaking. It only made things worse that Sirius was stuck in the middle of them.

"Remus... I..." Harper opened her mouth to speak but couldn't find the right words.
"Can I talk to you? O-outside." Remus said.
"Y-yeah, sure." Harper nodded quickly, not even glancing back at Sirius as she followed Remus out into the corridors.

Remus and Harper had not spoken since the afternoon before. They stood in the dark of the corridor, just outside the portrait door in silence. Each was waiting for the other to speak first. The dull light of candles in the distance just about illuminated their faces as they stared at each other.

"I'm sorry." Harper whispered, biting down on her tongue, "I've been looking for you everywhere but I couldn't find you and I though maybe-"

She was cut off by Remus pulling her into a tight hug. As soon as her head rested against his chest, she melted. It was like arriving home after a terrible day at school. It was like escaping from the cold rain and into a warm coffee shop. It was safe.

"Harp, I shouldn't have gone behind your back." Remus mumbled into her hair.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I didn't know how else to keep you safe. I just-my mum's spoken about cleansing the wizarding world of muggle borns and half breeds and all that and I didn't want her to know about you. I didn't want you at risk." Harper explained quietly, she felt like she was losing her voice.

"Wait... What?" Remus stood back, holding his hands on either side of her face.

Harper fell silent.
"What is it?" Remus asked.
"I'm just, I'm scared."
"It's okay to be scared but I need to know what you're scared of."

Harper sighed, "I don't really know what it is... But I've heard my family talking about some dark wizard, that they support, who wants to make a fully pureblood society. It sounds ridiculous but I don't want them to know you. I don't want them to come after you." Her bottom lip trembled as she imagined what could happen.

"Hey, hey, it's alright. Don't worry about me, I was just worried about you." Remus comforted, "We should probably stop pushing each other away."

"So you're not mad?" Harper asked.
"Of course not!" Remus exclaimed, "Are you?"
"I couldn't really be mad at you."

Remus leant forward, he hands still on either side of Harper's face as they kissed.

"If you ever want to leave your family, you know I'm here, don't you?" Remus murmured.
"Of course."