prologue

4:57 pm, 7th December, 1971

It took Harper Brooke exactly three months and six days for her to be confident in her discovery. She wasn't the brightest student but she'd be damned if the reason for her friend's suffering went unnoticed.

After two months as Hogwarts, Harper had an idea. It was a dangerous one though. She didn't dare mention it to anyone, instead deciding to wait one more month to be certain.

She was certain now. Not scared, afraid or nervous. She was concerned. Not for her own safety but her friend's.

Harper nervously lingered outside the library, uncertain of what to do.

Before making up her mind the door swung open and an exhausted looking Remus emerged.

"Remus." She started, her mouth stayed open and it instantly ran dry.
"Yeah?" He asked quietly, tucking two books under his arm and rubbing his eyes.

"Mind if I tell you something? But it needs to be private." She bit her bottom lip nervously.
"O-okay." He stammered, his cheeks gently flushing a pale red colour.

She led him outside and into the empty courtyard. The sun had already set and the winter evening was upon them. No stars shine in the sky tonight and the moon... Was nowhere to be seen. As they stood together in the yard, the harsh winter winds battered them from all sides, causing their hair to fly over their faces.

"What is it...?" Remus asked hesitantly.
"I know something. But, I need you to know I don't think any differently of you. You're still my best friend and I'm not scared, just worried about you." Harper stated bluntly.

This only caused Remus' mind to race. Surely she hadn't? At first he thought she was going to... But of course she wouldn't say that. This was worse. This was terrible.

"I know you're a..." She held her breath.
"Don't say it. I know what you're going to say, don't say it." Remus knew. He didn't want to admit it to himself but she'd figured it out.

If she could figure it out, it wouldn't be long before everyone else did. Could she keep his secret?

"Listen," She held out her hand and gripped his arm - a comforting gesture.
"Just, don't. You don't understand, I could hurt people. Dumbledore tried to help but what if I get out one night? I could kill someone, I could kill you." He whispered weakly as his body started to shake.

"Remus Lupin. You're my best friend... and a werewolf. You won't hurt me, or anyone else. I know that. I just, I had to be honest with you." She forced a smile out, hoping that something she did would reassure him.

"How did you figure it out? Everyone else just thinks my mum is ill and..." He trailed off slowly, his eyes focused on the floor.
"I can see how you change. You're hurt and tired and sad, I've noticed. Just, trust me. I can and will keep your secret and I'm here for you."

With that, Sirius and James burst out from the doors of the castle.

"Remus!" Sirius shouted, pulling James along behind him, "Harper, you're here too?" He frowned, glancing between the two of them and then to James.

Peter suddenly appeared behind them. Panting as he scuttled out of the castle and towards the group in the courtyard.

"We have a plan for the Christmas prank! It'll be next level!" James exclaimed, elbowing Sirius in the side.

In the few months since they'd arrived at Hogwarts the four boys had made a name for themselves. Within the first week they were infamous, their names whispered amongst teachers and students alike as they strutted down the corridors. The amount of detentions Sirius and James had wracked up between them was more time than they'd actually spent in lessons.

"I'm going to go to the common room. See you Remus," she flashed him a reassuring smile before stepping away, "See you, boys." She nodded as she strode past them and back into the warmth of the castle.

Slowly she climbed up the moving staircases and made her way towards the Gryffindor tower.

"Harper! Where've you been? I've been waiting for you to help with this Charms essay!" Lily scrambled up from her seat beside the fire and ran towards Harper.

"Sorry." She mumbled, stepping away from the door and deeper into the common room.

The warm fire emanated comfort and relaxation, matching the familiarity of the faded wallpaper and well-worn furniture.
As the two girls sat together at the table, the noise of other friends chatting and laughing acted as pleasant background noise to fill in the silence between them.

"Where were you?" The redhead asked, pouting her small, rosy lips.
"Nowhere... Anyway, where are you up to?" Harper pulled her book from her back, discretely changing the topic.

-

A/N

Just to let you guys know, when the inspiration hits I will come back and add to this chapter

Ik it's kind of short and the conversation between Remus and Harper regarding his furry little problem is terrible

I don't really know what to do with it yet other than I know I have to include it so hopefully I'll be inspired at some point and improve my writing here but until then it stays I guess

Thanks for reading up until this point

The prologue is officially over now and the story continues after this

I've put quite a lot more time into the chapters after this regarding the actual writing and art so I hope that you'll keep that in mind

Thank you so much x