Chapter 22: Carrots

‘Mum?’ I choke, watching as her droopy eyes widen.

‘Cassie!’ She cries, jumping forwards and hugging me, I hear her weep into my shoulder.

‘Ellen?’ I hear Louis say, with a hint of panic in his voice. He shuffles forwards and pushes us gently inside, shutting the door behind Mum. Mum tears herself away from me and I take a second to examine her more closely, the scared look in her eyes and the bruises; a fresh dark purple one covering the most of the inside of her arm.

‘Come and sit down Mum’ I say, steadying her shakiness and leading her to the sofa where she sits on the edge upright, her eyes darting around and looking round nervously. I sit myself next to her and Louis sits on the chair opposite, frowning in confusion as to what was going on.

‘I can’t stay here long, Cass’ Mum says, her voice wobbly.

‘Why Mum? I don’t understand, why are you here? Why are you crying?’ I ask, biting my lip.

‘What happened after we left the hospital?’ Louis asks a further question. He presses his lips together and scratches his forehead. Mum answers Louis’ question first.

‘After you left, Dan, and his friends, they knifed the two policemen, and they had guns, and they made everyone raise their hands and not move- I tried to phone someone but they took my phone, and then, they saw Taylor.. she was in your room still, she was on the phone, getting help seen as I couldn’t, and they, they-‘ Mum pauses, and tears start to fall from her eyes. I, eager to know what happened, wrap and arm around her comfortingly.

‘Mum, what happened, tell me-‘ I whisper. She looks up.

‘Cassie, they took me, and Taylor, they made everyone stay silent until we left, they took us to a big building, and threatened us and hurt us Cass, I tried to escape but they’d just hurt us more’ Mum sobs, spluttering her words and flooding tears.

LOUIS POV

I watched as Ellen broke down in front of us, I couldn’t help but feel pain for Cassie as she watched her Mum.

‘It’s okay Mum, your safe now right?’ Cassie asks, I watch as Ellen looks down awkwardly before pulling one of her torn trouser legs up, revealing a small black strap with something attached to her.

‘Cassie, they know where I am right now, it’s a tracker, you need to leave’ She says calmly, although her voice is shaky towards the end of her sentence. I look over to Cassie but her eyes remained fixed to the strap on her Mum’s leg.

‘What? But how did you get here? No- I’m not going Mum- I’m stay-‘ Cassie starts, before Ellen interrupts.

‘No, Cassie, you need to leave, you’re not safe here, none of you are-‘ Ellen looks at me as she says this.

‘Can’t you just remove the strap?’ Cassie says, pleadingly. She falls to the floor and tries to remove the strap. I watch as tears start to fall down her pale and scared face.

‘I’ve tried honey, it won’t come off’ Ellen smiles weakly in Cassie’s attempt.

‘Mum, please, I’m not leaving here, I don’t care’ Cassie says stubbornly. Ellen frowns at her impatiently and takes her hands.

‘Please Cassie, just listen, it won’t be long before Dan realises I’m gone too long-‘

‘Too long? What do you mean?’ I ask, standing up.

‘Louis- please take care of her, you and the boys, but get away from here, as far away-‘ She continues.

‘Mum what do you mean, too long?’ Cassie repeats my question. Ellen runs her hand through her dry looking hair and we watch her as another tear creeps out of her eye.