Chapter 20

Chapter 20:

Travis’s POV:

I was laid in bed, thinking about how much I wish it was me in Joey’s position. Since I kissed Sofia, it has just made me like her even more. I’m crazy about her and the thing that hurts the most is the fact that I can’t have her. When we arrived back in California, I stayed with my parents as my college and apartment is in Colorado. I was reminded why I decided to move away.

It was the day after we got back, my mom asked me to go to the store and pick something up for dinner. Having not seen the area for a while, I thought it’d be nice to skate there. I grabbed my blue pennyboard, put my earphones in and made my way to the store. I was in no rush so I went to one a little further away, which also happened to be the only store that still sold my favourite pizza. I was skating along a sidewalk that ran parallel to the beach and in the distance I could see a group of guys around my age all huddled together in a circle. I just hoped with all my heart that it wasn’t who I thought it was. Memories of high school came flooding back as I got closer. All the hate I would get from everyone was so overpowering and it made me feel so unwanted. I couldn’t walk into a room without feeling like everyone in there was judging me and it was all because of one group of guys that I used to call my friends.

As they came into sight, they all began too look in my direction, that’s when I knew it was the guys the guys that bullied me.

“Dude, is that Travis Neumann?” I heard one of them ask rather loudly, deliberately so I would hear.

“I think so.” Another replied. I gulped back all my fear and tried to ignore them. One of them stepped in front of me and kicked my board from under my feet, causing me to fall. They all started laughing.

“Travis, long time no see.” Said one of them whilst towering over me.

“Fuck off, Nathan.” I replied doing everything I could to get up but he just pushed me back down.

“How’s life treating you, huh?” he spat right before kicking my stomach and winding me. They all found this hilarious and took my board before swaggering off, probably thinking they’re cool.

And here I am, wishing I’m somebody I’m not. I never seem to be good enough, I fail everybody and nobody cares. I sit up in my bed and run my hands through my short blonde hair. I don’t really understand what I did to make people hate me so much. It’s probably because I’m seen as lanky, nerdy Travis who spends all his time playing guitar and watching Star Treck. I feel a single tear roll down my cheek, but I dismiss its presence as many more followed its path. There’s no chance of me getting any sleep so I decide to go to the kitchen to think about everything over a mug of tea. Right as the kettle had finished boiling; I heard a very familiar voice from behind me.

“What’s up Travis?” Max said quietly. I turned to look at him, he looked at his feet. He could tell I had been crying.

I made Max tea as well and we sat opposite each other at the small white table.

“I’m crazy about her.” I admitted, I knew I can tell Max anything. He nodded.

“I can tell. But dude, she’s with Joey.” he said sympathetically. I sighed and took a sip of my tea.

“I know. Max if I tell you something you can’t say anything to anyone?” I suggested he nodded in agreement.

“Look, I’ve been thinking over this for a while and it’s not because I want to. I just feel like it’s for the best right now. Max, I’m leaving the band.” I blurted, taking a deep breath at the end to try and calm myself. A look of shock and horror came over Max’s face, he was speechless and an awkward silence fell over us.

“If, If that’s what you really want Travis, who am I to stop you?” He finally whispered. We returned to the awkward silence again and sipped on our tea.

“How long have you been thinking about this?” he asked, I expected him to have a million questions to ask.

“Ever since I kissed Sofia, I just feel that I can’t contain my feelings anymore and I don’t wanna get into any shit with you guys. You’re my best friends and I don’t want to mess that up. So our show in Colorado will be my last, then once Warped leaves, I’ll go to my apartment and you guys will drive back to California I guess.” I said solemnly. 

“I understand. Travis, dude, I’m gonna miss you. Do the others know?” I shook my head.

“Actually, I wasn’t planning on telling them until the day. I just want to enjoy the last days without everyone feeling sympathetic and going out of their way to do thing specifically for me.” I explained. Max seemed to understand.

“Do you want me to announce it at the end of the show?” he suggested, he knew that was exactly what I would want. I smiled at how well he knew me and nodded.

It wasn’t long before we both went back to bed, and I laid there thinking about how different my life would be not being a part of Emily’s Army.