Chapter 22

Chapter 22:

Joey’s POV:

So summer was very nearly over and tomorrow, we’d all start college again. We had decided to spend the day before at Mom and Dad’s because it felt necessary to catch up with them. Darkness was beginning to fall and we were all sat underneath the large, rectangular wooden gazebo that was stained black. It really created a chilled out atmosphere and there was a net of ivory fairy lights were in the roof of it. We’d had a barbeque for dinner and were relaxing and making the most of our freedom before college starts again.

“So Sofia, what are you studying in college?” Mom asked.

“I’m majoring in art which has an element of photography to it.” She replied cheerfully.

“I’ve seen your photography, it’s amazing and I have no doubt that your art is just as great. I think this might just be the course for you!” Dad exclaimed. We spent a little while longer chatting about college and Jakob told us about what classes he hoped to have this semester. It was getting late so Sofia and I decided to head back to our apartment to get some rest.

The next morning, our alarm went off at 6 am, I hadn’t missed this start to the day at all. Sofia sat up and let out a huge sigh before pushing her hair out of her face.

“Morning.” I said in to most tired voice imaginable. She turned to face me.

“Good morning.” She replied, a smile forming on her face.

“Not particularly.” I responded, returning the smile. We got up and got dressed. I chose my Vaccines tour shirt with some navy blue shorts while Sofia chose a Pierce the Veil t shirt with some black jeans and all black Converse. She came towards me and I pulled her in for a hug, then kissing the top of her head. We headed towards my car and I realised we had time to quickly grab a coffee. I found the closest Starbucks and ordered a tall Café Latte for myself and a grande Vanilla Spice Latte for Sofia.

“I really have no idea what I’d do without Starbucks. Thank you Joey.” Sofia told me after taking a first sip of her coffee.

“Not a problem.” I replied with a smile.  We stayed in comfortable silence for the rest of the journey to college, both of us taking a sip of our coffee every now and then.

When we arrived, I saw Sofia get a little bit nervous.

“Hey, it’ll be okay. Grace is starting here as well today so you’re not alone and plus you guys already know each other.”

“Yeah I guess so. I really hope this turns out okay.” She whispered anxiously.

“I’m sure it will.” I replied. We got out of the car and went to fine Max, Cole, Seb and Grace. Surely enough, we found them heading towards the cafeteria, no doubt to Seb or Max’s request.

“Hey guys!” Cole yelled excitedly when he saw us, letting go of Grace’s hand to hug both Sofia and myself simultaneously.

“Hey.” Sofia and I replied in unison. We began talking about how none of us could believe that summer is over and how everybody spent their last few days. That was until the campus bitches showed up. These were a group of douche-bags and sluts who will do everything possible to manipulate a person due to a tiny fault. There was Kayleigh; she had blonde hair coming down to the bottom of her rib cage. To be blunt, she was the size of an elephant that was caked in make up and spent its life smoking and doing drugs to make itself look like a harpooned whale. Her latest fuck-buddy, Luke, was tall and somewhat muscular. He has spiky brown hair and his face was similar to Robert Pattinson’s, just stung by a lot of bees. Then there was Lydia. Lydia had platinum blonde hair just past her shoulders and also wore excessive amounts of make up and as little clothing as possible. They had a group of freshman years that followed them like sheep and stuck up for them, but nobody really knew who they were.

“Hi Joey.” Lydia flirted, pushing past Sofia.

“What do you want?” I spat.

“You know exactly what I want.” She whispered in my ear, making my stomach churn. She was utterly repulsive and probably had every STD known to man. Max suggested that we all leave, to which none of us hesitated and we quickly escaped those sex crazed maniacs.

“Who was she?” Sofia asked quietly.

“She’s Lydia. Lydia is a total bitch but is no threat to you whatsoever. Ignore whatever she says.” I told her, everybody else also enlightened Sofia on Lydia’s tales. Grace already knew of her because she’s probably fucked everything that will take her in the entirety of the USA. Eventually, we all had to make our way to our classes. Sofia had a lecture on fifteenth century art while the rest of us had a lecture on the history of music so we could end up writing a detailed essay on its evolution.

The day slowly dragged by and at the end of it, I found Sofia waiting for me by my car.

“How was it?” I asked, taking her by surprise.

“Okay. But that Lydia is in my class.” She said rolling her eyes. We got into the car and I started the engine.

“Oh dear God. Good luck.” I responded with a chuckle.

“She’s convinced you guys have something going. You know that right?” she said worriedly.

 “Yeah, but there really is nothing. She’s a bit of a slut.” I informed her. Sofia nodded.

”Yeah I guessed.”

We spent the evening relaxing and eating pasta. Nothing too spectacular. I can tell that everything will work out for Sofia at this college.  I just really hope that Lydia and her little group of friends don’t cause us too much hassle.