Chapter 2

Sofia’s POV:

I was awoken by the blinding sunlight this fine, freezing morning. I got up from the bench and put on the jacket I had used as a blanket last night. It honestly felt so good to not ache all over because of being hit. I sat on the bench watching the world go by for a few minutes until I was interrupted by my phone buzzing in my pocket.

Joey –

Where are you? X

I was a little confused at first and then I remembered that I was supposed to be meeting the guys and I was already ten minutes late. I dashed through the park that I was in to the nearest tube station, barging my way through any people that crossed my path. When I eventually got to the platform I saw my train had just arrived. I got on and sat down and decided to text Joey back.

I’m just on the train now, I’ll explain everything later x

By everything, I meant more than why I’m late.

To which he quickly responded with

Okay ;) x

I couldn’t wait to see them all again although explaining everything to him could be hard.  Before I met them, I always had a soft spot for Joey. Now in just a few minutes I’ll find myself telling him about the wounds that cover me. I guess they’re all going to find out sooner or later.

When I arrived at the venue, I saw only Joey was waiting outside.

“Hey, where is everyone?” I asked him.

“They went to get some food. So what was this you wanted to explain to me?” he replied. I could feel a lump forming in my throat as just a few of the many horrible memories flooded back to me.

“It would probably be easier for me to show you.” I said as I rolled up the sleeve to my jacket. He looked at the cuts and bruises and a shocked expression took over his face.

“How?” He said, almost speechless. I quickly thought over what I was going to say before taking a deep breath and finally finding the courage to speak.

“When I was 6, my dad found out my mum had been cheating on him for 2 years. He found out by her leaving us both for this other guy. I could sense that he was getting angry, but angry was a massive understatement.” I said, choking up and feeling a tear roll down my cheek. Joey wiped it away and told me it was okay.

“He used to take everything out on me. Weather it was physically or verbally abusing me. Anyway, the time came around for me to go to secondary school. I was that girl who would rather get drawn into a book than make contact with anyone else. My grades were pretty bad and still are. But by the time I turned 14, I had met someone who felt the same way as I did about society. Someone who shared interests with me. This guy is my boyfriend Alex. But after 6 months of being together, he joined in with my dad abusing me. I’ve tried to break up with him, but he hurts me more. And that’s pretty much where I am now.” I told him, slowly looking up and meeting his eyes. There was a tear in Joey’s eye, he was speechless and all he could do was pull me in for a hug.

Out of nowhere, Max Travis and Cole came bounding over with bags of McDonald’s. Just what I needed right now.