Chapter 29

Michael's POV

     I'm scared, physically scared. I don't want to leave Brynn here. She's a complete mess. She refuses to leave her room, and she won't let anyone in, at all. She's alive, I know that for a fact, but I'm still scared. Loss cam make you do some pretty awful things. The last thing anyone, including her, needs is for her to try something stupid.

     On top of that, I'm scared to talk to her. Addie tried to talk to her, and she got yelled at. Her mom just got straight out ignored when she tried to talk to Brynn. I don't know what I'm going to get.

     She just needs some time, and I'm going to respect that. She doesn't need a ton of her friends acting like helicopter parents. That'll just make it worse.

     "Michael, talk to your girlfriend. It's been a week, and she needs you," Sergio states.

     "She needs space," I defend. Sergio sends me an "are you serious?" look.

     "Yeah, cause it's not like you've always been the one person who could always help her," he rolls his eyes, looking on his phone.

     "Wait, he hasn't talked to her yet?" Chance asks.

     "Not a word," Sergio replies. Chance sighs.

     "What are we going to do with you?" he murmurs, shaking his head. I stand up, adjusting my sweatshirt.

     "Drive me over there," I suggest, sticking my phone in my pocket. Chance automatically stands up, looking proud.

     "That's lets get going."

---

     "Oh my gosh, thank gosh you're here Michael. She's a mess," Addie breathes as soon as she opens the door. She securely wraps her arms around me in a hug.

     "On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is it?" I ask, and she shakes her head.

      "I have no idea what you've dealt with, but this is bad," her eyes widen, and a man appears from behind her. He has broad shoulders with bright blue eyes and dirty blonde hair with a light layer of facial hair. He is wearing blue jeans and a light blue t shirt. In all, he is pretty damn intimidating.

     "Addie, you can't have friends over right now," he informs her defensively. It takes me a second to realize that he's talking about me.

      "Oh no, this is Brynn's boyfriend," Addie quickly takes a step away from me. The man suddenly has a moment of realization before walking over.

     "Hello Michael, I'm Eliot, Brynn's mom's boyfriend," he introduces himself, sticking his hand out for a hand shake. I never ended up getting to meet him since the dinner was scheduled for December 10th, and everything collapsed before them. I shake his hand.

     "Eliot, he really needs to go. You can do your little interrogation later," Addie pulls me back. Eliot leaves, surprisingly, and the two of us head up the stairs.

     "How's it going with Marcus?" I ask, and she punches my arm.

     "Shut up," she huffs, a mix of impatience and laughter.

     "Marcus says that talking to you is his favorite part of his day," I inform her, and she automatically turns bright red, matching the shirt she is wearing. We arrive at Brynn's door, and the sobs are audible. Chills wash over my body.

     "Good luck buddy. Don't break her," she pats me on the back before simply walking away. What good advice. I awkwardly knock on the door. It's so quiet that I don't know if she heard it.