Chapter 16

Michael's POV

     I stare at the ceiling, unable to sleep. How could I sleep? Brynn is missing, and I can't do anything about it. I can't afford another close call of the guys finding out I'm talking to Brynn again. I also don't want Mason to need something in the middle of the night and come in here to find me gone. Then, he'd go get the other guys. Once again, that would not be fun.

      "Dad?" I jump up. Mason is standing there with his favorite plush dinosaur in his hand, wearing his dinosaur footie pajamas.

      "What is it buddy?" I ask calmly. He climbs up onto the bed and sits down next to me.

     "Where are my parents?" he asks, furrowing his eyebrows.

      "Well I'm your dad," I tell him.

      "I know you're my dad crazypants, but you haven't been my dad forever," he brings up, a frown on his face.

     "Why are you wondering?" I ask.

      "Kids at school were telling me I didn't have any real parents," Mason informs me, and I give him a hug.

     "They're just jealous they aren't as cool as you. They wish they could travel the world like you do," I boop his nose, and he starts giggling.

     "I'm hungry," he completely changes the subject, patting his stomach.

     "Do you want to go get some food?" I ask, and he starts nodding. I stand up as he flops down on the bed.

      "My legs are jello," he sighs dramatically.

     "How are you going to walk?" I question jokingly.

      "You could carry me," he suggests happily. I pick him up before opening the door quietly and slipping my phone in my pocket. We make it downstairs, quietly walking past the other boy's rooms, and enter the kitchen. I sit Mason down on a stool before opening the fridge.

     "What do you want to eat?" I whisper in attempt to make it so no one else wakes up.

      "Chocolate," he responds quickly.

     "No," I object.

     "But I want chocolate," he pouts.

     "But it's 1:32 in the morning. You can have some tomorrow," I offer, but he crosses his arms.

      "How about I have some now?" he tries to bargain.

     "How about no?" I respond, giving him a slice of bread. Suddenly, my phone goes off.

      Brynn: I don't know if you're up but if you are please go outside ASAP😉😘

     "Hey Mason, stay here. I need to go check something out," I inform him. He nods, eating the bread.

      "Got it," he salutes me. I slip on some shoes and head outside to see Brynn standing there in a sweater, jeans, and a scarf. She also has her hair up. As soon as I get close enough, I hug her and burry my head in her neck.

     "You scared me," I admit, and she wraps her arms around me too.

     "How? I told you I was going to be outside," she laugh-sighs.

      "Addie told me you went missing," I admit, and she groans.

     "I love the girl, but she sometimes makes things a bigger deal than they have to be. I told my mom where I was the whole time. There was just a slight change in plans," she tells me, resting her head on my chest.