Chapter Three

Evander wasn't happy

He paced furiously in front of Papa's desk in the library, dragging his fingers through his already unkempt hair.

I could understand, if I was in his position, I would also be furious. In fact, I was mad for him.

Papa had no right to strike up a marriage contract with King Alaric's daughter without telling Evander first. Now that Alaric had agreed, we couldn't go back on the contract.

"I'm sorry, son, but this is out of our hands now." Papa said calmly to my brother, "Alaric has accepted, he requests our presence immediately to carry out the wedding."

"I don't give a damn!" Both Mother and I winced, "Call off the contract. I am not marrying a woman I don't even know, a woman I have never met before."

I crossed my arms, pulling my silk dressing robe around my body tightly. Why did Papa and Evander insist on arguing so late in the evening? I was already dressed for bed, as was Mother, but we were the mediators when they got like this.

"Evander," Papa said firmly, his anger raising, "Our people are dying. Morgana slaughters whole villages every week now, we cannot suffer any longer. A binding agreement, marriage no less, will unite our forces. We might just stand a chance with him."

My stomach curled thinking of all the destruction Morgana was doing to our land, our people. I felt so hopeless, I couldn't do anything. As the second child and a female, I hardly had any impact on much of anything.

"I understand that, Father, but couldn't a political alliance be struck? Anything but marriage."

Papa shook his head, "I'm afraid not, son. This is the only way."

Evander groaned in frustration and stormed out of the library, muttering dark curses as he went. The candle light flickered as he walked away.

I quickly stood from the leather couch, "I'll calm him down." I hurried after Evander before my parents could ask questions.

"Evander. Evander." I hissed, struggling to keep up with him, "Evander."

"What!" He spun, the candle nearest to us shuddering out violently.

I crossed my arms, "Stop that."

He followed my gaze to the light, seeming to just notice what he'd done.

"Sorry." He muttered.

I shook my head, "You have to be more careful, Evander, anyone could've seen that." Magic did not run in our royal family, not like King Alaric's family.

However, my brother did possess magic. I've known since we were little, when odd things started happening around him. It only meant one thing.

Evander was illegitimate.

We both knew, although I took it harder than he did. I was disgusted and angered at my mother, wondering why she'd be so foolish to do something like that.

"It is what it is, Rose, you can't change that." He had told me, and we never discussed the matter again. If Papa ever knew his only son wasn't his, it would break his heart, as well as mine.

"I'm sorry," my brother repeated, "I just..."

I nodded, "I'm just as upset about this as you are. But Evander..."

I was hesitant to voice my thoughts. Would Evander understand why I was going to tell him to go through with it?

His anguished eyes met mine, "I know, I know I should go along with it. It is my duty to our people, to this land."

An understanding passed between us. Long ago, when Morgana started terrorizing our kingdom, Evander and I had made a pack.

Everything we did, we did for our people. I knew I could make no impact as the second child of the king, much less as a princess, but Evander? Evander had the power to rally our people to fight back against the evil Sorceress.

"I'm sure Lilac won't be so terrible." I told him, "I met her once, you know, and I've heard many stories of her beauty and kindness."

Evander snorted, "Yes, beauty and kindness is all I need to fall in love with a stranger, Rose. I need to know her, to understand how she thinks. Her looks do not appeal to me."

Evander was known for his looks, with his dark lashes, strong jaw, stoic eyes. The ladies of the court swooned over him. But as he said, looks meant nothing to him, although I knew that he did appreciate a beautiful woman as much as I appreciated a handsome man.

"I've heard she is also a skilled Pegasus rider." I offered by means of consoling him.

He shook his head, "I'm going to bed, Rose, you should do the same. Tomorrow we start the journey, and you are not staying home to leave me at the mercy of Alaric's court."

I grinned, "I wouldn't have it any other way."

We parted ways and I climbed the staircase with my hand on the bannister, thinking of my brother's predicament.

I wondered how I'd react if I was in his situation. Forced to marry a man I had never met because we were at war. I'd always imagined I'd marry for love, since Evander was the heir to the throne. As long as I was happy, my parents were happy.

Sighing, I opened the door to my chambers and closed it again, my eyes trying to adjust to the darkness.

Then a hand covered my mouth, and another yanked my arms behind my back. I never had the chance to scream.

"Don't move."

[EDITED: 9-5]