Chapter Four

She was running, the girl who looked like me but wasn't me, running through the palace halls

She wore one of my dresses too, a blue ball gown with layers upon layers of tulle. She had my chocolate tresses, a braid done across with baby's breath tucked into it. She glanced over her shoulder, her blue eyes flashing with fear and panic.

She looked exactly like me, the only difference being our eyes. Anyone not looking closely would think we were identical.

She whipped around a corner, panting as she pressed herself against a wall. She closed her eyes.

"Hurry, Lilac, wherever you are." She murmured, "Please, hurry, because they know I'm not you."

I wanted to reach out to tell her that I was here, but then my hand dropped when I reminded myself this was only a dream.

Footsteps echoed from the hall she had just run down, and voices were shouting. She pushed herself off of the wall and picked up the skirts to run again, but guards were on her before she could.

"No!" She struggled and strained against them, "Please, you don't understand! Lilac is my sister! I would never hurt her!"

Sister? That explained why we looked so much alike. Identical.

The dream faded away, and I was left staring at my canopied bed, my chest heaving. I hated those dreams, the ones where everything felt real.

No use in dwelling on it.

"Come in!" I called, sitting up and pushing my sheets back.

I heard a long suffering sigh from outside my bed chamber door and they opened to reveal Alexia's curly ginger hair.

"How do you do that?" She asked, exasperated as she entered my chamber and began to drawn back the heavy drapes over my windows.

I smiled innocently, "Do what, Alexia?"

She gave me a hardened look, "Know when I'm at the door. You always call out to enter right before I knock."

Alexia had been my maid for as long as I could remember. She was a few years my senior, more of an older sister than a maid.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I answered her, setting my bare feet onto the cool tiled floor.

Magic was not uncommon in the royal family, in fact, Father did have some magic. But I had never heard of magic in which the wielder possessed the ability to know the future. I was afraid to tell anyone of my ability.

Alexia sighed, but did not push the subject. She went to the large wardrobe and threw open the doors, looking in with her hands on her hips.

"What shall you wear today, Lilac?"

When we were alone, titles fell away and we were simply equals. I was sure Mother would faint dead away if she knew.

"No dresses today, I'm afraid." I told her, "Riding clothes, please."

Alexia nodded, and dove into the wardrobe to find my riding clothes.

Half an hour later, I was dressed in tall riding boots, tan trousers, and a finely cut jacket. It was simple and practical, more of what I preferred to the tight dresses with large skirts.

Mother did not approve of riding the Pegasi, but Father had insisted that I learn. All great rulers knew how to ride, and since I was the sole heir, I would some day be ruler.

As I walked into the stables, the sweet scent of hay greeted me. I passed Father's steed, Jupiter, a black stallion. He neighed softly and pushed his snout into my palm, nosing around for apples or a sugar cube. I patted him and continued on, coming to a stop in front of my own mount, Andromeda, a beautiful mare with stormy gray wings.

The stablehand, Gregory, was holding two buckets of water in his arms when he saw me, patiently waiting while stroking Andromeda's snout. He put the buckets down and bowed.

"Would you like a saddle, Your Highness?"

I shook my head, "No, that won't be necessary. Just a bridle, please, Gregory."

He nodded and helped me bridle her, then I led her out of her stall. Outside the stable, I mounted and took the reins in my hands.

"Let's go, girl." I whispered to her, leaning in close to her neck for takeoff. I flicked the reins, and Andromeda started off in a fast cantor, working her way up to a gallop.

Her large wings spread out, and in one powerful swoop, we were in the air. My braid flapped behind me, but I urged her to go faster, fly higher, take me far away from the palace.

Technically, I wasn't allowed to leave sight of the guards, but I had this growing need to get away, to be by myself.

Soon, the palace became a dot of gray stones far behind me, and I could see the small cluster of buildings that made up a village ahead of me. Andromeda glided, her wings stretched out, then began to slowly loose altitude for our descent. I allowed her to land, trusting that she knew what she was doing.

We landed in a beautiful meadow, blanketed in little wild flowers and tall green grass. Bees buzzed around the flowers, and butterflies startled by our landing fluttered through the air.

Then I saw them, grazing peacefully a few yards away from us. Wild Pegasi, a whole flock, with young foals prancing around on still wobbling legs.

The wild ones had a more exotic range of colors, and this group wasn't lacking. There were pale peaches, pinks, even lavenders. 

I dismounted Andromeda and dropped her reins, allowing her to graze. I didn't want to startle the flock, so I just stood there, watching them.

And then I became aware. Aware of someone watching me, creeping up, curious.

It was her. She had come to find me, or more accurately, stumbled upon me by pure accident.

Or so she thought.

But I knew better. Fate was fickle in its ways, and this seeming accidental meeting was no accident. My instincts had been right.

I turned slowly, a smile breaking out over my face.

"It has been too long... sister."

[EDITED: 9-5]