Chapter Thirty-Two

Something had gone wrong

My eyes were closed, but I could feel it. The current of magic flowing through our joint hands was different, a sour note to it.

Someone had tampered with the spell, I could tell. I held tighter to Evander and Caspar's hands.

"Break apart!" A voice yelled through the maelstrom of wind. It sounded like Yuna, "The spell's been corrupted! Break apart now or we'll all be killed!"

Caspar let go of my hand, breaking the circle, and Evander jerked me over to him, holding tight to my body as we were hurtled downward.

My feet made contact with solid ground, then my legs collapsed and I went down, bringing Evander down with me.

We landed in a jumble of legs and arms, the residue of the magic making my teeth hurt and my arms tingle.

I became aware that I was laying on hard, cold stone. I could smell woodsmoke.

And the coppery tang of blood.

I detangled myself from Evander, the task made harder by the battered ball gown, struggled to stand on my wobbly legs.

I was met by a horrifying sight.

We stood in a cave, the remains of a fire a little to my left, and I could see a fierce battle happening near the entrance of the cave.

Shock hit me like a blow to my stomach. First, I saw Lilac, fighting a dagger with a glowing staff, then Caleb of all people leaning against the wall holding his stomach and his face clenched in pain. A bloody handprint scared the wall next to him. And lastly, there was Renae, still in her burgundy dress and fighting Lilac with a murderous look on her pale face.

"Evander, we have to help!" I cried, almost falling again when I tried to take a step. That spell must've taken more than I thought from me. And that meant that Evander was in no condition to help at all.

I had to do something, though.

Stumbling forward, I found the cave wall for support, prayed that this would work, and closed my eyes.

The magic felt both foreign and familiar on my tongue. It filled me with a tingling sensation, like the traveling spell had, only this time it had no sour note.

It felt like... home.

I finished the incantation, then opened my eyes, and cried, "Lilac, get out of the way!"

Immediately, Lilac dove back away, just as my blue sparks reached Renae. Ice blossomed across her dress, spreading and spreading until she was enclosed completely, frozen solid.

If I felt fatigued before, it was nothing compared to how I felt now. I could barely stand even with the wall supporting me.

Lilac turned, awe making her slack jawed, "Lily?"