Chapter Six

"Don't move

"Don't move."

Fear and adrenaline coursed through my veins, making my heart pound.

My captor cruelly held my hands behind my back, pressing us uncomfortably close, and leaving me defenseless to use my hands.

My mind raced, searching for something, anything, I could use to get away. However, just as I was deciding to bring my heel down upon his foot, he spoke.

"I do not wish to hurt you, Princess Rosalee." His voice was smooth, young, "I will let you go if you promise not to scream."

I pondered for a moment of refusing and just stomping on his foot anyways. But then I thought better of it, reluctantly nodding my head to let him know I consented.

His hand left my mouth, and he dropped my arms.

I stumbled away, wanting to get as far away from him as possible.

I heard him mutter something under his breath, then blinked as the lone light of a single candle illuminated a small circle of my chamber.

A warlock, or a wizard at the very least. I turned my gaze to him, crossing my arms.

The black cloak made him look like a tall, living shadow, hiding whatever type of weapon beneath it. As my eyes took him in, a familiar cord struck from somewhere inside me.

I had seen this man before, I was sure of it.

His ghostly blond hair, long and uncut, didn't seem right for his eyes of midnight. Those eyes gave nothing away as they studied me back.

"Princess Rosalee, I haven't come to harm you."

I narrowed my eyes, defying him although my heart was racing, "Then why have you come? Who are you?"

His jaw twitched, "Who I am doesn't matter. What matters is—"

"If you expect me to listen," I interrupted, "Without telling me your name, then I will scream for the guards right now."

I saw the muscles in his jaw tense up again, like he was biting back his words, and he sighed through his nose.

"My name is Caspar." He supplied, "Rosalee, you must insure that your brother marries Princess Lilac."

I frowned, "Why should I listen to you?" Why would a stranger show up in my chamber, at night no less, and tell me that I had to force my brother into this marriage contract?

"Because I am Morgana's son. And she has demanded that Alaric give up Lilac to her instead of your brother, or else she will destroy both of your kingdoms."

My mouth fell open in disbelief.

Morgana's son? I was not aware that Morgana spawned a son. I shuddered to think what this man was capable of, being that evil woman's son.

I sank onto the bed, my head spinning. Did he expect me to trust him? No, I wouldn't. I couldn't.

"Why?" Was all I could ask, "Why does she want Lilac?"

Caspar shook his head, "I do not know how Morgana's mind works, Rosalee. But you cannot let her get what she wants."

Something didn't add up here. How did Caspar know what Morgana wanted?

I narrowed my eyes, "How do you know about this?"

I immediately saw the uneasiness in him, how he shifted slightly on his feet and how his eyes slid away from mine.

"You..." The dots connected and I took a step backwards, "You work for her, don't you? You've been sent here to kill me, to convince me to trust you, then slit my throat! Get out, now."

"No." He took a step forward, "No, I won't hurt you, you must believe that. Think whatever you want of me, but I will never hurt you."

My stomach did an uncomfortable flip. That sounded like...

"I...I know you, don't I?" I murmured, staring hard at him. Now Casper really did look uncomfortable.

I dredged the memory up, a memory of my sixteenth birthday ball, of dancing with a young man who made me feel dizzy and breathless. No, this couldn't be possible.

I used to fantasize about that gentleman, a silly little fling of a naive girl.

That whole time, I'd been fantasizing about... about Morgana's son.

"You!" I blurted out, "Have you been spying on us? Learning our secrets to report back to your mother, so she can destroy our villages, kill our people, burn our land? I can't...I don't believe this."

"Listen to me!" He hissed, now sounding angry, "As I said, believe what you want, but you have to protect Lilac. Follow her everywhere, because Morgana has someone in their court, a spy, who will attempt to take her."

"A spy? Like you?" I spat.

He closed his eyes, sighed through his nose, and reopened them, "Yes, like me. You must find out who they are and tell me."

"Why? How?"

"That spy has orders to kidnap Lilac if Alaric doesn't obey Morgana's demands. I'm trying to save her, not condemn you all to Morgana." He took a deep breath, as though he was calming himself, and continued, "I'll be traveling with your court, but I can't look on my own. I need your help, Rosalee, please."

I hated hearing my name on his tongue, especially since I used to imagine him saying my name as he leaned in to kiss me. Now I knew that very same man shared blood with the one woman I hated the most in the world.

"How can I trust you?"

He pursed his lips, paused a moment, then said quietly, "I can pledge myself to you, if that counts as anything."

Blood rushed to my cheeks.

A pledge was a serious thing. If a warlock or witch choose to do so, they could pledge their lives to a person, promising the protect that person at all costs. It was the same as a knight swearing loyalty to their king, only a pledge was a magical bond and could only be broken by death.

Our royal wizard, Darrius, was pledged to Papa. I had witnessed the ceremony when I was little.

And if Caspar was willing to pledge himself to me, then that showed just how desperate he was for my aid.

"I-I..." I needed to think, to figure this out, but I didn't have the time. Not when we were leaving tomorrow.

I made up my mind.

"I'll do it. But you don't need to pledge yourself to me." Caspar nodded, looking relieved.

Was this really the right decision?

I didn't know, and I had a feeling I wouldn't figure it out any time soon.

[EDITED: 9-5]