Chapter Thirty-Nine

I was beginning to think I had been forgotten

I was beginning to think I had been forgotten. My guards were past due on feeding me, but that might've been a direct order. Starve me until they could get around to me.

Either way, I was weary of pacing and fitful dozing. I felt ill and dizzy from the lack of food.

Something was happening outside my isolated confinement. I could hear muffled shouting and unidentifiable voices saying things that were just out of my earshot.

If I pressed my ear to the crack in the door, I could just barely make out a few words. I heard things like 'attack' and 'insider' and 'queen' and 'orders.'

Could I even dare to hope it was Lilac and Lily and my brother? I wasn't sure.

Having so much time to myself, locked away, presented the problem of thinking too much. Questions and what-ifs swirled around in my head, without answers, and I grew sick with worry.

Without warning, the lock turned and my door opened. One of my guards, the dark skinned one with the thick coils of hair who was nicer than the other one, entered with an air of urgency and held out his hand to me.

"Princess Rose, my name is Cyrus, Caspar sent me. We need to leave, now." Everything about him spoke urgency.

I stared, unsure and uneasy. It could easily be a trap. He could be leading me to my death under the pretense of helping me. After all, he was under the command of Morgana. On what ground could I trust him?

He must've seen the hesitation on my face, noticed it written in my body, for he met my eyes steadily with his impossibly dark ones.

"Trust me or not, Princess, but are you really going to give up your chance of freedom just because of hesitation?"

As much as I was suspicious of him, I knew he was right. There was a slim chance of me escaping on my own. And here I was, being presented with the only viable option of escape. The freedom was so tangible I could taste it.

I straightened my shoulders, chin held high, and said, "Very well. Lead the way."

Cyrus seemed almost taken aback, I wasn't sure why, but he quickly recovered and took hold of my hand. His hand was warm and calloused.

The corridor was in chaos. And as we left the room, I understood now why I hadn't gotten any meals. My guards were gone, save Cyrus, leaving me alone to starve in that room if he hadn't come.

Terrified denizens fled past us in the opposite direction, dressed in fur-lined robes made of silk and velvet. For some unknown reason, Cyrus was leading me in the direction the apparent danger seemed to be coming from.

"Is something happening?" I asked, slightly out of breath.

Cyrus glance dover his shoulder at me and slowed his pace a little to help me compensate, "You'll see soon enough, Your Highness."