Chapter Two

A chill breeze swept through the busy streets of the village despite the bright sun, although it did nothing to dampen the festive mood

Pennants of purple silk with the royal crest on them hung between every building, and somewhere close, music was playing. Joyous laughter and chatter filled the air, mingling with the usual noise of the Main Street market.

One thing I would never understand about the people of this kingdom was how devoted they were to the royal family.

A decree had gone out three days ago, nailed to every notice broad and shop window. Princess Lilac was marrying Prince Evander in two weeks. Why this was cause for celebration, I did not know, but the village had gone into a frenzy.

However, even with the festivities, there was something else in the air.

Desperation. Poverty. Dread.

Fear.

You could see it on people's faces, and in the way they walked. People were afraid.

And I understood why.

Everyone had heard of the reports pouring in from the borders. Desperate pleas from warlocks and witches, asking for aid, even though the King and Queen had none to give. The King's magical forces were spread far too thin, and only magic could fight magic.

The attacks on the border were growing more frequent with every passing day. People had begun to fear an attack on villages further inland, even though this village was highly unlikely to be attacked, as it was the closest village to the royal palace. It was only a matter of time before things would break out into full-scale war.

That was why the Princess's marriage was all the more welcomed. It was a way to distract themselves from the threat of Morgana. I could hardly blame anyone.

"Lily! Lily, over here!" I turned at the sound of my name and smiled when I saw Johanna, the baker's daughter. Jo was a friend and kind to me when others weren't.

I made my way over to her booth, the tantalizing smell of fresh bread making my stomach growl in hunger.

Jo gave me a dazzling smile, and held out a half loaf of bread with nuts and raisins to me, "Here, for you."

I stared at the tempting loaf, then shook my head, "Oh no, I couldn't."

"Yes, you can," Jo waved the bread in front of my face, "It's the least I can do after you mended all of Papa's and Joan's clothes for me."

My cheeks pinked, "Oh, that? That was nothing, really, I'm happy to help out."

"It wasn't nothing, Lily, stop being so humble. I never would've been able to do all that on my own. You have a true gift with the needle." She pushed the still-warm loaf into my hands, "This is my thank you. Take it!"

Sighing through my nose, I took the loaf. Jo was right about one thing; with a needle in my hand, everything else in the world fell away. Whether I was mending a sock hole or embroidering a baby's blanket, sewing was my one true happiness.

I nibbled on the bread as I walked, trying to savor it because it was the first good baked thing I had in a while. I lived off of plain grain and goat milk. And my pay was meager to say the least.

Still, I could hardly complain when I had a roof over my head and paying work, while others slept in doorways and went days on an empty stomach.

"All of this makes me sick. We shouldn't be worshipping the royal family."

I glanced nervously from side-to-side, "Careful. There are a lot of people who would kill you for saying that, Simon."

Simon shrugged his shoulders, "I don't care. It's the truth and everyone knows it."

"What are you still doing in town?" I asked, deflecting the topic we had fallen into, "I thought you were leaving for the Dark Forest."

He shrugged again, "My plans were set back. I'm leaving tomorrow."

"And have you talked to your parents?" I kept my voice soft, because I knew it was a sore subject, a dangerous one too, for him.

Simon bristled, "No, and I don't plan to, Lily. You know that."

I sighed. Simon was an old friend; when my mother was still alive, we lived with his family for a time. They had been kind to her, an unmarried woman with a small child looking for work in a foreign kingdom, and I had grown up with Simon and his older brother, Caleb. Three years ago, there had been a falling out between Caleb and his parents. I didn't know all that had happened, but Caleb had left the village three days after. No one knew where he went, but after a tiring year of looking, they had given up.

Simon never lost hope, and he was leaving the village to look for him. His parents weren't too happy about it.

"I have to find him, Lily. You know I do." Simon said when he saw my expression.

"I know." I agreed, "I'm just not happy about it."

I broke off a piece of my bread and handed it to him. I wanted to change the subject, because it saddened me that I was about to lose my closest friend.

"Have you seen the new foals?" I asked him.

He grinned, "Yeah, they're just starting to learn to fly."

A flock of wild Pegasi had stopped in the meadow outside the village to raise their young. The royal family raised Pegasi, but noting could compare to the wild winged horses.

"It'll be a shame when they leave again." I said, sighing a little.

I had gone out to watch the foals yesterday, smiling as they stretched their little wings and tried to fly. I've always thought that Pegasi were majestic and beautiful. It was a dream of mine to one day ride a Pegasus.

"I have to go. My shift's due to start." I told Simon, finishing the last of my bread.

He nodded, "I'll come say goodbye, Lily, I promise."

He pulled me into a hug, smelling like lemon soap and leather. Simon had always been there for me, even on the day my mother died, he was a simple comfort.

And now I had to say goodbye to him too.

[EDITED: 9-5]