Chapter Twenty

I was in trouble

I was in trouble. Big trouble.

Panting, I pressed myself behind a large column. My heart thudded in my chest and I squeezed my eyes closed.

Please don't find me, please don't find me.

I heard footsteps running down the hallway. Tentatively, I glanced around the column, then immediately whipped my head back.

Oh no.

The footsteps got closer. I bit my lip, then suddenly sprang out and dodged behind the next column. Too late, the footsteps got quicker.

"Found you!" Crystal squealed as I reached out and scooped her up.

"You found me!" I agreed, pretending to gobble her up.

She laughed and shrieked, trying to get away from my hands to no prevail.

Crystal was the daughter of Lady Shana, a sweet, older woman in Lilac's court. She didn't seem to mind the merciless ridicule spoken about her, in fact, she didn't seem to care at all.

I was learning fast that Lilac's court was treacherous and dangerous in the three days that I'd been at the palace. I had to carefully watch what I said and what I did. One wrong move, and I'd be ruined.

Lady Shana was a kind ally to Lilac before, and a kind one to me. Crystal was a darling.

I liked both of them much better than some of the other ladies in the court, and Shana reminded me so much of Mother that it ached sometimes.

"Put me down, put me down!" Crystal demanded, squirming to get down.

I couldn't say no, so I put her down and took her little hand in mine, "Come, let's go find your mama, then."

"Okay!" She skipped along, her blonde pig tails bouncing around.

We turned the corner and I almost ran right into a gentleman. When I looked up, I was quite surprised to see Evander.

I was ashamed to say that I had been trying to avoid him. Evangelina and Miriam had been pushing us to go on walks together, and every time I walked with him, the more I found myself wanting to talk with him.

I didn't want to get too close, or else I might've been in danger of falling in love.

And even if I did, I would never be able to marry Evander.

"Lilac!" He sounded as surprised as I felt, "forgive me, I did not see you."

Why did he have to be so handsome?

I cleared my throat and stepped back, Crystal still holding my hand, "Oh, please don't, we weren't watching where we were going."

"We?" His eyebrow shot up.