Chapter Thirty-One

Caleb had Celeste and I stay at the cave while he went out to collect more firewood

Caleb had Celeste and I stay at the cave while he went out to collect more firewood. The fire had to be very hot for him to do any type of metal work.

But what could we use as a ring?

I paced restlessly, my thoughts going around and around in useless circles. I had nothing on me that even resembled a ring shape. I would've given my tiara to use, but it was back at the palace.

"Here." Caleb groaned out, coming back into the cave loaded down with firewood, "That should be enough to keep it hot."

I helped him stack it up against the wall in an accessible area.

I sighed, "But hot enough to melt down what? I don't know what to use."

He massaged his brow, pushing his hair away from his brow. It was longer now then from when we first met. I wondered how I had changed since then. I wasn't the same, I knew that.

A pant of homesickness suddenly hit me hard, stealing my breath. I ached to see Mother and Father again, and Lily, Lily especially. She hadn't been in my dreams of late and it worried me. Knowing washed over me, warm and tingly.

Of course! The dagger Father gave me for my tenth birthday! How had I not seen it before?

I pulled it from my belt, "What about this?" I held it out to Caleb to examine it.

He studied the blade. The craftsmanship was quite similar to the dagger he carried, although the metal used to forge his blade was much darker than what was used for me. Father must've had Caleb's family design and forge my dagger.

"Even if I melt it down," He said finally, "I won't have enough metal to create a ring."

I released a breath, my eyes burning and a lump forming in my throat. So close, we were so close, and now, it had all been for nothing.

"Wait!" Caleb barked out, startling me and scaring Celeste a little. He pulled his dagger out, "If I melt them together, I'll have enough to make the ring."

I shook my head, "No, Caleb, I can't ask you to do that."

"You don't have to ask." He pulled me to him, placing my hands over the daggers in his hand, "When have you ever had to ask?"

"But..."

"Stop." He shook his head a little, smiling at me, "Lilac, tell me why you're doing this."

I blinked, unprepared for the sudden question, "I... because I have to. If I don't, Morgana will destroy everything and everyone I love."

"So why are you giving up your dagger for this?"

I swallowed, the realization of what he was asking hitting hard, "Because... because I love my kingdom, my people, my family."

Caleb nodded, tucking a strand of my hair behind my ear, "And I'm using my dagger because I love you."