Chapter Fourteen

I was sad to see Rosalee go, our conversation had taken a turn to interesting

I, of course, did not believe any of the rumors about Evander. How could he possibly possess magic when magic did not run in their family bloodline? People were just paranoid because of Morgana.

I watched as Rosalee and the tall gentleman began the dance, and frowned when I noticed them dancing far too close together.

Were they courting or something?

Never mind. What did I care about the politics of the royals? I was just hoping to survive through this as long as possible. Every minute could be a chance of discovery, I had to be on my toes.

"Princess Lilac?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin. Evander was right behind me, so close that when I jumped, I fell right back into him.

My face was flaming, I was sure, as I could feel the heat of my embarrassment.

I was such a clumsy, bumbling idiot!

I scrambled away from him, turning so I'd face him and dropped into a quick curtsy, "I am so sorry, Your Highness!" I was rambling now, but I could hardly help it, "I truly did not mean to ram into you, it's just that, you startled me and I wasn't expecting you to—"

He surprised me so much by laughing that my mouth snapped shut and I just stared at him with eyes the size of the moon.

Amusement swam in his pale eyes as he replied, "Please, Lilac, I think we ought to use first names, as it is only proper. We are getting married, after all."

My face went red again, "O-oh." Was all I could manage to get out, however.

He offered his arm, having to look down to look me in the eyes because of our height difference, "Shall we dance?"

Great Celeste, Alexia hadn't prepared me for dancing. I got along fairly well at simple dances, mostly because Simon's mother loved to dance and taught all of us, but I wasn't good with the fancy ballroom dances the royalty and nobility did.

He was going to know right off that I wasn't a Royal and this trick would end before it really began.

"Of course." I hoped I didn't come off as panicked as I felt.

I think he must've known because there was a glint in his eyes as he led me onto the dance floor.

I was a little unprepared for his hand on my waist, as Simon always put his hand on my upper back. I believe he did that because he didn't want people to get the wrong idea.

We tried once, to be more than friends, but it just didn't work out. We were better as friends, everyone agreed, including us.

So Evander placing his warm hand right in the curve of my waist was unfamiliar to me.

"So, Lilac," Evander started as we took a spin, "I believe this where we get to 'know each other,' as my mother says."

I was so concentrated on not messing up the steps that I opened my mouth to tell him that my name was Lily, not Lilac, but I remembered at the last moment and snapped my mouth close. It was so forceful that my teeth painfully clacked together.

Oh good and merciful Celeste, will the embarrassment never stop?

Evander chuckled, which rumbled from his chest like gentle thunder, "Am I making you uncomfortable, Lilac? I understand that we are both very... new to this."

"No!" I calmed my voice, sure that my face would never stop being red, "No, I'm sorry. I'm not uncomfortable, just a little... flustered, that's all."

Was it my imagination or were Evander's ears just as red as my face?

I closed my eyes briefly, which cost my concentration on the steps and I stumbled a bit, then opened them again and gave Evander a shakily smile, "May we start over, please?"

I wasn't good for much this evening, but I did seem to make Evander laugh. That had to count for something, at least. I hoped.

"I hear that you are a skilled Pegasus rider."

I swallowed, "Yes, I love riding, however I am not allowed to ride much now because of the circumstances."

Lilac and I had devised this particular lie, since I wasn't a skilled rider and we both knew it'd be asked of.

Please buy the lie.

Evander nodded seriously, a curl of dark hair falling into his eyes, "Yes, these are troubling times indeed." My fingers itched to smooth that unruly piece back.

Great Celeste, Evander was going to be the death of me.

[EDITED: 10-29]