Chapter Twenty-Nine

Oh, where has my sweet love gone? Oh, where has my sweet love gone?Will her love carry on? Oh, will she ever come back to me? Oh, will she ever come back to me? Will she ever hear my plea?

Will her love carry on?
Oh, will she ever come back to me?
Will she ever hear my plea?

A few more strands and it'll be long enough to reach through the bars. The guard was drifting off to sleep, finally, after singing this old lullaby nonstop for the past few hours.

Yes, I know my sweet love is gone
Her love will never carry on
No, she will never come back to me

The hair pin easily bent to my hands, twisting until it resembled something of a hook. I attached it to the long stick I had made out of the spare hay in my cell. Perfect.

My love will never hear my plea
For she has gone away from me

I finished out the lullaby, the haunting notes ringing off of the stonewalls of the dungeon around me. The guard let out a loud snore. I smiled in triumph, but my plan was far from over.

I wasn't sure how long I had been stuck in this cell deep in the bowels of the castle, but it couldn't have been very long, the guard hadn't even changed yet. At first, I had sobbed until there had been no more tears to cry, but then I had gained a hold of myself.

I would escape and find Lilac, help her in any way, and get as far away as possible. There was nothing left for me here and if I stayed, I would be executed for treason.

Summoning all my courage, I stood from the bench I sat upon and pressed myself against the iron bars of the cell. I began to hum the notes of the lullaby again, just to be sure that the guard stayed asleep.

I reached the hook through and carefully, slowly, hooked the key ring attached to the guard's belt. The keys rattled against his armor and I froze, breathing fast and humming the song. The guard moved a bit, then went back to his peaceful snoring.

I released a silent sigh, then slowly lifted the key ring up, careful not to touch it against his armor.

I had them. I quickly pulled the hook in, snatching the keys off and reaching through the bars to insert it into the lock. There was a tiny click as the lock opened.

Free, I was free!

I pushed the cell door open, the hinges screeching in protest, and bolted out of the cell.

"What—? Hey, wait!" The guard must've woken up, but I was already running through the passageways.

The dungeons were a labyrinth if you didn't know where you were going, but I had memorized the way they had taken me down here.

The torchlights flickered as I ran past, dimly lighting my way.

Disaster struck when I rounded the corner leading to the stairs out of here and ran straight into a guard. He stared at me through the slits in his helmet, then twisted my arms behind my back.

No! I was so close!

My huffing and puffing guard came around the corner and skidded to a stop when he saw that I had been captured.

"Ah, yes, thank you." He said once he caught his breath, "You can hand her here, I'll take her back to her cell."

The guard holding home tightened his grip on me, "I have orders from King Alaric. I am to deliver this prisoner to him to deal out her punishment."

And by punishment, he meant execution. I struggled harder.

My guard looked a little shocked, "Oh! Well, then I'll leave her in your hands. Good riddance, I say, she's who put away our beloved Lilac."

He spat at my feet, then turned and went back to his post.

The guard holding me started to push me up the stairs, while I fought the whole way.

"Let me go, you swine!" I hissed, furious and afraid, "I'm innocent! I didn't do anything!"

I frantically searched for something, anything to hurt him, to get away. I brought my heel back and stomped as hard as I could. He bit off a curse and released one of my arms, using the other to yank me around towards him.

"Lily, Lily, it's me!" He threw his helmet off and the fight left me.

I founded myself staring right at Evander's handsome face. My brain was slow to think. He smiled at me, cupping my chin with one hand.

"Evander? I don't... what are you..." I shook my head, struggling to make sense of this, "Why did you come for me? I don't understand, I-I lied to you. You should hate me. You should want me executed."

He winced like the very thought pained him, "No, Lily. Don't... don't say that."

"Why not?" I said bitterly, "It's true. I deceived you and lied, even after I..." these words got stuck in my throat, just like at the gala.

"Please say it." His words were strangled with emotion.

I swallowed past the lump, "Even after I fell in love with you."

He leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. It was different from the gala, a tender, gentle kiss. But it left me dizzy and breathless.

"I waited so long to hear those words from your lips." Evander whispered. My heart was soaring.

I met his eyes, "Evander, I'm not... I am not a princess. I never was, I'm... I'm just a lowly servant."

His eyes hardened, "You are a princess to me. And that is all that matters."

My stomach flipped.

"Evander, it's time to go." A voice hissed. Startled, I turned and saw none other than Rose standing a few steps up, holding a lantern. My cheeks flamed; had she been there the whole time?

Evander nodded, "Lily, we need to leave."

He took my hand and together, we hurried up the steps. Towards light and fresh air.

And Lilac.