2.9

This is unedited so if you point out a typo you die simple as that

-

"Luke, what are you talking about?" I asked, shaking my head.

I should have listened to Luke in the first place and let him say whatever he had to earlier, that way he wouldn't have barged through the front door and caught Michael and I together. I had just made things a lot worse by putting this off, and now I had no idea what was going to come from Luke seeing Michael and I like that.

"Dani, there's something that I need to tell you." Luke said slowly, taking a step forward. He grabbed my hand in his, but I pulled away. I was so confused, I didn't understand what was going on and what Luke could possibly be taking about. He couldn't have done anything wrong, right? Luke and Michael didn't even know each other, Luke had to be lying.

"What?" I asked, and when Luke didn't answer, I asked him again. "Luke, what do you have to tell me?"

"Do you want to sit down?" Luke asked, trying to reach for me again. I just backed up even more, into the railing of the staircase. I staggered backwards, finding a place on the stairs to sit down.

"Is it really that bad?" I swallowed hard, not sure how I was expected to feel about all of this. It wasn't every day that one of your best friends came to your door saying that they've done a bad thing to one of your other best friends.

"It's bad, Dani, it's pretty bad." Luke nodded. He rubbed his hands over his face, which looked paler than it normally did. He looked like he was going to be sick, and I almost wanted to tell him to just go home and come back when he was feeling better. He looked terrified, and whatever it was that he had to tell must have been worse than I thought. Here I was thinking that he was just going to complain about Brooke, when really there was something much bigger going on.

"Just tell me, Luke, please." I begged. We might as well just get this over with now, since I'm too interested and worried for Luke to stop now.

"Dani, please promise that you won't hate me." Luke said, kneeling down in front of me. He was about to cry, his blue eyes filled with tears already as he stared up at me.

"I could never hate you, I want to help, just tell me what's wrong." I said, nodding a few times to encourage him to speak. It was true, no matter how horrible whatever this thing he had to tell me was, I would never be able to hate him. Luke had been my friend for over three years, I wasn't going to let one of his little mistakes end out friendship.

"Michael hates me - " Luke's voice broke and he took a second to think before speaking again. "Michael hates me because I was in the accident that killed his sister."

"What?" I almost shouted, not noticing that I had scared Luke by my outburst.

Throughout this entire thing, I never once suspected that Luke was part of the accident that had killed Kenzie, but now everything was making sense to me. That's why Luke acted so strange when I brought up Ashton, or when Calum invited him to sit with us at lunch. And whenever Luke and Ashton were around each other things got so awkward, and with Michael, too. Michael couldn't even look at Luke. I can't believe I was so stupid not to see any of this sooner.

"How?" I asked, trying to stay calm. While I was surprised that Luke had done this, I was more confused than angry, and upset that Ashton hadn't told me. He said that it was all his fault, I don't understand why he would want to take all the blame when there was clearly someone else to take it as well.

"It was at the beginning of the summer, you know?" Luke began, gulping again. "It was early in the morning and I was coming home from Brooke's house. I was way too drunk to even be walking, much less driving, but Brooke still let me leave because we were fighting, and I don't think she cared. I still don't think she cares...."