0.9

Just as I was sneaking past the kitchen to get out of my parents sight, my mom began to call for me. I groaned loudly, not wanting anything to do with either of my parents at the moment.

"Danielle, come here!" She yelled, waving me into the kitchen.

"She likes to be called Dani, Samantha." My dad sighed. Finally he understood that I did not like the name Danielle.

"Well Charles, I named her Danielle, didn't I? I can call her whatever I please." My mom glared back at him.

"What did you want?" I asked. I didn't have anywhere that I needed to be, but I would rather be alone in my room than talking to my parents.

"Your father and I are partnering up for the next few months and my company will be advertising for his company, so we just - "

"Why are you even telling me this? I don't care." I cut her off, rolling my eyes.

"If you would just let me finish!" My mom huffed. "We're going to be inviting a lot of our colleagues over for a party next month, and we just wanted to let you know so you had time to invite some friends of your own."

"You want me to bring friends to one of your work parties?" I scoffed. When I was younger I wasn't even allowed to these parties, much less any of my friends.

"We decided that it would be a fun time for you and all your friends." My father shrugged.

"Invite Brooke and Luke, or that Asian boy you hang out with." My mother said, pulling out her phone and looking down at it again, like she had began to totally tune it out.

"I'm pretty sure he's not Asian." I said warily. I only had Calum over once before, I don't even know how my mother was able to remember him. It usually took her at least a few visits for her to remember my friends.

"Whatever, just ask some friends to show up. You won't have much fun if you're the only young person here."

I was about to answer but was cut off by the doorbell ringing. I jumped up from the stool I had taken a seat on and went to get the door before either of my parents could, this exiting myself from the conversation completely.

I pulled open the door to reveal Ashton standing there with a huge smile plastered on his face. As soon as he saw me his smile dropped and he crossed his arms over his chest.

"Oh, it's just you." Ashton groaned. He began to fish through his pockets for either his cigarette or lighter or both.

"Who did you expect?" I asked.

"Well I didn't want your parents to think I'm some burnout if I show up smoking and looking like I hate the world." Ashton chuckled slightly.

"Dani, who's at the door?" My father came up behind me and Ashton stopped searching through his pockets. He looked up at my dad and stuck a hand out for him to shake.

"He's just - " I started to speak but Ashton cut me off.

"Hi, Mr. Murphy. I'm friends with your daughter. I take the bus with her." Ashton said quickly.

"Right." My dad nodded, dropping Ashton's hand.

"Is it alright if Mur - I mean Dani, comes with me to lunch?" Ashton asked.

My dad nodded again, not saying anything to Ashton as he walked away from us. I think he felt the whole thing was weird, this didn't normally happen. I've had boys come and pick me up before but they hardly ever wanted to meet my father.

"Let's go." Ashton grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me outside, making me trip on my way out the door.

"What the hell was that?" I asked as I followed after Ashton, who was already half way down the walkway.