1.6

I sat on the stairs in the front doorway of my house, watching the clock than was hanging off to the side. It was exactly 7:14, and if Ashton was actually telling the truth about coming tonight he would be here in less than a minute.

My friends were already inside, talking away with each other while they stood around a table full of appetizers. Luckily none of them had plans and were all up for coming to the party tonight, even though I let them know about it at the very last minute. Brooke seemed to be in a better mood tonight, the two of us seemed to forgive each other for our little argument yesterday without saying a word. We just had the type of relationship where we forgave each other easily.

The doorbell rang, snapping me out of my thoughts. I stood up from my spot of the stairs, smoothing out my short red dress with my hands as I walked over to the front door. I opened the door and was met with Ashton, who was busy trying to finish off a cigarette.

"Irwin." I greeted him, and he finally looked up at me, his eyes growing wide.

"Shit, Murphy." Ashton breathed out, looking me up and down.

"Was that a compliment of some sort?" I asked.

"You look amazing." He chuckled.

"You don't look so bad yourself." I shrugged, eyeing Ashton. He was wearing a black button up shirt and jacket, with a nicer pair of skinny jeans than he normally wore. It wasn't a full on suit, but he looked nice enough.

"Oh, shut up." Ashton smiled, looking down at his feet.

"Do you want to come inside?" I asked, realizing that we had just been staring at each other in the doorway for the longest time.

"Oh, yeah, right. Where's - oh my God, Michael. What are you, five years old?" Ashton groaned. He reached over to the side and grabbed onto something, which I was assuming was Michael. Apparently he had been standing in the bushes the entire time.

"Hi, Michael." I gave him a small wave, pulling the door open wider so the two boys could get through. He was wearing something similar to what Ashton had on, these boys obviously didn't have much color in their wardrobes. Michael gave me a small nod while he pushed past me, already losing himself in the crowds of people scattered throughout the house.

"He'll be fine. I think he knows Calum, he'll probably go find him." Ashton said. He began to lean in for a kiss, but we were interrupted.

"Danielle, why don't you introduce us to your friend?" My mother said, startling us enough to make us both jump away from each other. My father stood beside her, not looking nearly as amused as she did.

"Oh, this is my - "

"Hi, Mr. And Mrs. Murphy, I'm Ashton Irwin. I live down the street." Ashton stepped forward, shaking both of their hands. "I take the bus with your daughter every morning."

"I believe we've met before, Ashton. Nice to see you again." My father said, returning Ashton's handshake.

"When did you two meet?" My mom asked, looking between Ashton and my dad.

"Ashton came by a few weeks ago and took Dani out to lunch, didn't I tell you?" My dad said, turning to my mother. She leaned up and whispered something in his ear, and whatever it was made him frown.

My mom turned back to us, putting on the best fake smile she could. "Well, we'll get going now. You kids have fun, okay?"

My parents then walked away, leaving Ashton and I alone once more.

"They don't like me." Ashton pouted.

"They're like that with everyone, don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure my dad likes you, it's my mom you need to watch out for." I laughed. Ashton reached out and grabbed my hand in his and pulled me closer to him, finally getting that kiss he wanted.