1.1

I pulled my jacket tighter around my body as the wind blew, the fall weather starting to catch up with me. It would only be so long before I wasn't able to wear my signature dress and combat boot combination anymore. I sighed and glanced over at Ashton, who was obviously not adjusting to the new cold weather either.

"Cold, Murphy?" Ashton winked at me, noticing how hard I was struggling to keep warm with only my light jacket.

"Only a little." I shrugged in response. Ashton adjusted the beanie resting on top of his head and smiled.

"You aren't used to waiting for the bus, are you? Just wait until winter." He chuckled.

"Hopefully by the time it's winter my mother will come to her senses and let me have my car back." I said, my teeth slowly starting to chatter from the sudden cold.

"I doubt it." Ashton smirked, bringing the cigarette that seemed to be glued to his fingers back to his mouth.

"I will get my car back, and when I do I'm not giving you a ride to school." I stuck my tongue out at Ashton, teasing him.

"That's perfectly fine with me. Why would I want to be stuck in a car with you every morning? Besides, I like taking the bus" Ashton rolled his eyes.

"And why is that?" I asked.

"Because they're so big. If the bus crashes I have a cushion of protection." Ashton explained. He stared down at the ground as he spoke, like he was ashamed of this idea.

"What if the bus flips on it's side?" I said after a moment.

"I'll climb out a window. There's always options, Murphy." Ashton replied. He had obviously put a lot of thought into this, so I chose not to argue with him any further.

I took my phone out of my jacket pocket and unlocked it, letting Ashton know that our conversation was over.

"Murphy?" Ashton broke the silence between us as we awkwardly stood together.

"Are you ever going to call me by my actual name, Irwin?" I asked, abruptly looking up from my phone. I had been concentrating on an intense game of Flappy Bird, I wanted to try and beat Michael's score so if I ever met him again I would have something to talk about with him.

"Danielle." Ashton smirked.

"Dani." I corrected him.

"Anyway Murphy, today is Friday." Ashton continued.

"That's really observant, thanks for letting me know." I said sarcastically, rolling my eyes and returning back to my game.

"Stop being such a sarcastic little shit, Murphy." Ashton groaned. "Do you have any plans for this fine Friday night?"

"Irwin, are you trying to ask me out?" I sighed.

"No. I just wanted to know if you would come get something to eat with me. Just as friends, of course." Ashton shrugged. He shifted his weight nervously on his feet, passing his cigarette from one hand to another.

"Just as friends?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow at Ashton. As much as I wanted this to be more than just a friendly dinner I felt that Ashton wasn't going go budge, even though it seemed like he may want more as well.

"Just as friends. I'm in the mood for a burger." Ashton flashed me a big smile before focusing his attention to the cigarette in his hand once more.

"Well you're in luck, because so am I."

-

"I can't believe you've never been here before!" Ashton rolled his eyes. He had brought me to a burger joint down town, and to Ashton's surprise I had never even heard of it. It didn't surprise me either, the only time I really ever ate out was at a fast food restaurant, I hardly ever went to a sit down place.