Chapter 23 Lord Richard Brandon

I walked with a quick pace towards the main stairs that headed to my wife's chambers. As I began to take the first steps Captain Gray and Lord Hawthorn came up to me.

"Richard, how is Elisabeth?"

"Hawthorn! Captain! She is as well as can be expected. I am on my way up to see her. Her brothers will be there in a few minutes, you may come if you wish to see her. I never thank you for what you have done for me...for her. You have my undying gratitude."

Captain Gray was the first to break the silence. "I just did my honorable duty, My Lord. And if Her Ladyship will not mind I will like to pay my respects."

"I have yet to meet your lovely wife, Richard. I am not sure it is the moment to do so, but if she wishes it I will be there."

"Good then I will see you shortly. I need to make sure she is ready to accept visitors. Do you know where The King is?"

"I believe he is somewhere around the here...there at the other side of the table with Captain Barden."

"Thank you my friend now if you will excuse me we will see each other shortly." I walked towards my cousin and upon arriving at his level I bowed.

"Now cousin you know better than that to so such a thing. So how may I help you and why are you not with your wife?"

"I am on my way to her. She is feeling well enough to accept some visits and I was wondering if you would like to see her?"

"Yes of course. I am lucky then. Do I look well enough to see your wife?"

"I think she would have made the exception on your behalf Dear Cousin."

"Come you monstrous man before I have you wiped for your misbehavior towards your King." He put his arm around my shoulder and as we walked many bowed our way. If people did not know I was the King's favorite they surely knew now.

Upon reaching Elisabeth's room I asked for Henry to wait for I wanted to make sure she was presentable for him. Smiled and I walked in. I found her struggling to sit up right. I ran to her side and helped her.

"You look better and you most definitely smell better Richard."

"I am at your disposal Lady Brandon. The King has come to see you, your brothers would like to visit for a while and then..."

"Are we to have some time alone?"

I sat at the edge of the bed taking her hands in mine and said, "Once they have seen you I will crawl in bed beside you and hold you throughout the rest of the day and as long as you want me."

"I would truly like that. Maybe you should let in our guest it is not proper to keep our King waiting."

Standing up I turned and bowed over her hand. "As you wish My Lady." I did not wait for her response walked to the door and opened it to let in Henry.

Ever the King he walked in the room and immediately went to her side, once he saw her smile he let out a sigh of what I presume was of relief. "Lady Brandon, how good it is to see you better than this morning. But honestly I want to know how you are faring." He sat on the chair I had previously used.

"First Your Grace...I would like to thank you for what you have done for me. I...never thought...I..." Small tears escaped her eyes as she looked down to her hands.

"Lady Brandon, I did what needed to be done, we all did what needed to be done. You My Dear Lady are my cousin and if fate will have it would one day be Queen to my cousin. Lord Essex defied my wishes and he needed to be punished. My punishment for him must set as an example and show all others that would wish to defy me that I will not let things go unpunished.